I dont know how to tell her Im not getting paid enough....

I watch a little 17 month old boy every weekday from 6 am to 3 pm and every time his grandmother drops him off he has a dirty diaper. to where it is almost falling off his butt! how do I, nicely tell her that if she is gonna bring him over she needs to change his diaper first!? Thats sad!
AND
I am about to start asking for more money a week because as of now Im only getting paid $110 a week and working 8 hours a day. Plus she sends no food with him so about $30 of it is going to his food which leaves me with $80 a week. Thats not much at all! I dont want to push it but I cant do it anymore! How can I get that point across to her? in a nice way.

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 12:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• When she comes to pick him up you will just have to tell her that you need to go over a few things. You have crunched the numbers and you are really only making 80/wk. You really cant afford to keep him at this rate and in 2 weeks your rate will be going up to $150..or whatever. Just reassure her that you love keeping him and hope she can work this out.

I know it is hard to bring up but the cost of everything goes up so she will just have to accept it. Find out what the going rate is in your area for in home and day care.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• 8 hrs a day 5 days a week no way!... when i babysat i got paid 50$ a day for 8hrs. which is 250$ per week. and i got paid every other week so 500$.. you should at least be getting 250$ each week. its not a easy job watching kids at any given time.. and she NEEDs to bring food with the child. and change his diaper. gross..tell her nicely, that you believe you deserve a raise of some sort. bc its not enough to watch a 17month old and you are also using some of the money to feed him. she should get the point.
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 12:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Give her notice that contact is going to change from weekly rate to daily rate in said amount. Also, to have the child change before bring over and to bring it daily food of said child. This is a business transaction plan and simple.  Doesn't like then it's probably a good thing. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We have a babysitter that we pay a lot less than a going rate for babysitting but we had her sign a contract and she agreed to it. If you agree to a certain pay, you have to take that pay. Now it should be the parents' responsiblity to bring food and have the baby clean when it's dropped off so you should say something about that definately. People think we are crazy for having a babysitting contract, but this is the reason one is always needed.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Well, day care centers are about $150 for a week for a little one, so honestly $250 a week is overkill. I'd rather put my kids in a center, not an in home care anyway!! I don't think you should charge more than $150 a week, because then they might as well go to a center. Where food is included in the price ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Oct. 12, 2009