My daughter is terrified of shoes! What do I do?

My daughter is 10 months old. She has actually been able to walk without help for about a month and a half, but she will not do it outside of her playpen (I guess she feels more secure knowing she can grab the sides if she needs to). My mother said that my older sister did the same thing. She told me that she bought her a pair of hard-bottomed shoes, and my sister was walking on the floor that same night! I suppose the shoes made her feel sturdier? Well, taking my mother's advice, I set out to the store in search of shoes. My daughter has big feet (just like her mama!), so I started with much bigger sizes, just to make sure her toes would not be squished. A pair of simple tennies seemed to fit fine, and she was calm in them. However....CONTIN

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• ....OP CONTIN
    When she tried to stand in the shoes, she found it difficult and started crying. Now, my child has never been one to throw a tantrum unless she is really scared or hurt. If she so much as SEES a pair of little shoes, though, she starts screaming like someone is beating her!! What do I do? I have never heard of a "shoe phobia"!
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• LOL.. Awww poor baby! Get her some soft ones. DD loved her shoes and would cry when I took her shoes off. They were pedipeds. Take a look at their website.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't think she has a "shoe phobia" but you may have to wait a couple weeks or a month until you need to try again.
    My suggestion is to take her to a professional shoe store that will size her and fit her correctly. Be sure to select a shoe that covers her ankles for support and has a leather sole that is solid, yet flexible. Also, find little shoelace hiders, children's specialty shoe stores have them. The shoelaces that hang down after you tie them gets put into the little hider and the end screws on. This way, your child isn't forever untying her shoes and eating the ends of them.
    I wouldn't go with sneakers unless there are no other options, but some sneakers are really tight across the width of the foot and because they have a cloth lining a child's foot doesn't slide in easy so that their toes curl up.
    I wish you the best!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:04 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have always had a difficult time finding soft soled shoes that are big enough for her. Even as a newborn, 0-6 months socks and shoes were too small for her.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• OP ~ My advice in the message above is what I did with my children over 15 years ago, but I went browsing around the internet and fell in love with the site for Stride Rite. They even have a store locator. Take a peek and see if it appeals to you.
    http://www.striderite.com/jump.jsp?itemID=0&itemType=HOME_PAGE

If that site doesn't work out for you, I still believe in going to a shoe store with a professional who will spend time with you and your child who will size your child's foot properly and find the right shoes that will fit correctly.

:)

PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2009