Aggressive and rude vs. assertive and tactful...

I work with a woman who is very brazen, loud and says whatever pops into her head at any given moment. She says she "tells it like it is", she feels that she needs to be completely honest about everything (your hair looks like shit) even when not asked for an opinion. She says she is just a strong personality, doesn't see that she is rude at all...she says everyone else is the problem, not her. I have to work with her everyday, and im getting sick of her shit. How do you deal with a person like this?

jlm202610

Asked by jlm202610 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• Ignore her if possible without being rude and obvious and kill her with kindness the rest of the time.. Just dont stoop to her level..
    Then just be grateful she isnt your mother and you dont have to live with her..
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 12:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• smile sweetly, and tell her "that's nice, but your opinion is none of my business" she will eventually stop bothering you, while you have maintained your professional demeanor.

Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 1:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Wow.  I'm different, I admire people like that, lol.  That doesn't mean that she isn't being rude though.  There is a difference inbetween saying whats on your mind and just being rude.  She sounds like she is just mean.  Ignoring her is the way I would handle it.  Look at her as entertainment, find amusement in what shes says and move on. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• You could say "Betty, sometimes I wish you had a better filter. Not everything you think should be spoken out loud. When you say these things I'm going to start telling YOU like it is." Using her verbage gives her little room to argue with you. After all, it is about perspective. Then, when she does it again (and you know she will) you just say "filter, filter, filter, Betty" and walk away. It might help and it might not, but at least you will have had your say without being completely rude in return.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't know but I get it because I have a sil like that. She has simmered down a bit lately but it can completely drive you insane.
    My sil has no boundries-tact. She actually told me that I turned out really well considering who my parents are! Gads! I am sorry that you have to put up w/that EVERY day!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• HAHA -- I love the "Filter, filter, filter, Betty" idea!!

When people are like that to me, I just think to myself that they need to get laid. Try that.
    CA_Mom_of_2boys

Answer by CA_Mom_of_2boys at 9:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If she tells you that your hair looks like shit, tell her that her ass if fat.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 1:37 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• OMG! Thats so true, her ass is fat AND she complains her and her husband don't do it enough...you guys are genius's!!
    jlm202610

Answer by jlm202610 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 30, 2009