Should I be concerned that my two year old is not talking as much as others?

She knows a lot of words that a familiar to her, but really has no interest in learning words that she is not associated with everyday (ex. horses) We can communicate just fine, she can say two or three word sentences. My friend has a toddler six months younger than my daughter and repeats everything!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• every child is different . for example my dd was born in march 07 and she talks like she is about 4. she loves to learn but thats her. she is a parrot and repeats everything, but if she is saying 2-3 words sentances then she is k. has teh doctor said anything?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We are taking her on Thursday... She is a free spirit, so to speak. She does everything on her own time. (Sometimes I think it is to drive me crazy) She is very developed in other areas just not language : (
    2007NewMommy

Answer by 2007NewMommy at 1:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• my daughter is the same, very very early babbler but not an early talkerand can say words just does not chose to
    she said her name at 9-10 months when she looked in the mirror and has never said it since
    dad sneezed and at 1 year she clearly said God bless you,,,,never since
    she just this last weekend started to copy what others said when prompted to, up until now she never would-like she is the most stubborn child in the world. you can tell that she is bright, but just says most words once and never repeats

did speak to doc and he said as long as she is having conversations =(babbles, takes turns with another person, makes the common letter sounds, hearing fine, uses pauses when speaking and uses expression, interested in books ETC) she is fine and no need to worry until three
    and my daughter an extreme free spirit, not afraid to explore never hangs on my leg and rarely looks back to see if mommy is still around
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• As long as she's starting to put sentences together and is learning new words (at least those that are of interest to her), I wouldn't worry about it. Keep encouraging her by reading and talking about things she sees around her. (My son was speech delayed so I've learned way more than I care to about various milestones...) As always, if you're still concerned, mention it to your pediatrician.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2009