MIL Antics with Food

Eating Disorder or Attention Seeker?

MIL won't eat what we make her. She won't eat what is in our fridge or pantry. She only eats at restaurants or her latest stint, she wants to be taken to a grocery store to buy what she wants, using our money. She has water, diet pop, butter, white bread and junk food at her house.

She spent 9 hours babysitting our child. In that 9 hours she had 1/2 of a diet coke that she brought. What is going on? I don't want to come home to find her in a diabetic coma and my child missing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• Does your MIL live with your? Just wondering. I think this is a little weird.
    Doodlesrevenge

Answer by Doodlesrevenge at 1:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Hi! We used to live with her for a year and I saw food in the fridge and back then everything is fine. We do not live with her at all but we visit so I know what is in her fridge and what not.

She is not thin but she is not obese. She works with the public. Dunno if maybe someone said something to her about her weight.. she is divorced with no one in her life. She is in her late 50's...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• She might be depressed. She had a houseful to care for, and make her feel needed, now you are on your own again...and she is alone. Someone may have hurt her feelings about her weight, but it sounds like a vie for attention, and spending time with her, not just phone calls or whatever. You may try to get her Glucerna (I know Safeway brand is just as yummy but less expensive), and I would just drop em off at her house, and keep some in your fridge too. You may tell her somone told you about them, and thought she might enjoy them when she is traveling to and from work. If she drinks them, they are only about 200 calories each, and they will provide protien, and other essentials.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 1:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• She won't drink that stuff as she is a Herbal Life supporter and keeps it in her fridge - but I have yet to see her drink it. Her best friend works for HL and dumps the stuff on her. She only likes diet Coke. Nothing else.

We live far from her so visits are just monthly - and she does not make any effort to come and see us as she does not drive at all. If she wants to come over, we have to driver her back and forth.

Oh well.
    Anonymous