Do you ever give relatives money?

If one of your siblings is perpetually broke, do you bail them out? How much have you given? Do you attach strings, like "I'll give you this money if you do ...?" I'm talking about a sibling, cousin, aunt, whatever who has trouble with money and can' t seem to get their life in order.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• my mom & dad are going through a rough time right now b/c my sister screwed them over so i'm buying the tag for mom's car
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have in the past, but wont do it now that I have a baby. Before it didn't matter, I lived with my parents and I didn't care where my money went, really. Now I have a baby and need to make sure I have money to provide for her, so I haven't given anyone money since I got pregnant with her.
    Anonymous

• No. I'd help my kids, I'd help my parents, But siblings are on their own. And his crazy old aunt who spends her money on Elvis statues and Webkinz (yes for herself at 70+) doesn't even get a grocery store gift card at Christmas. Even my kids and my parents can only expect help if they run into hard times, not if they are just screw ups.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• In the past I was generous to a fault. I rented an apartment for my mother and little sister, paid the rent, and the utilities, phone, and made sure there were proper groceries in the house. I at the time made more than enough to help out. I tried to tell them I would only do this if they respected the apartment, and worked on getting back on their own two feet, I expected Mom to pony up at least the utilities and half the rent within 6 mos.Instead they got a dog, no no, and when sis moved out mom sublet the place to a friend of a friend. It was ugly, and it made me cut them all off for years. It's a better situation now all around, but just last night I went to the market and bought groceries for my Grahm's house, because she has more expenses than income right now...I no longer do for the family first, I have my own home and family to support, but I wouldn't let anyone go hungry or cold, homeless..you just make it happen
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 1:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• no! I have bought food and paid some bills but to actually hand over money no way!
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We don't give money usually because we don't have much extra at all. I did give my mom and sister some money when we got our tax refund. It wasn't because they asked, they actually protested but there wasn't much they could do since they live in another state and I sent them checks, or because they are bad with money. They do so much for us, they are the only ones who do things for us and our kids, and I wanted to do something for them. They don't always have much so I thought maybe it would help and they'd be able to buy something nice.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• In answer to the question, if it were someone who just wouldn't get their life together, no I wouldn't just give them money.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2009