I just had a WIC appointment and I've lost 4 pounds...

I'm 17 weeks pregnant, and not overweight. I have a midwife appointment on Friday. Should I mention it, or just wait until I get weighed there? What do I do if I continue to not gain weight?

ACL2007

Asked by ACL2007 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Alot of people loose weight when they are pregnant 4 pounds isnt really alot. If you were further along then it may become a problem.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 1:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• They jumped my ass at my last WIC appt at 16 weeks. I had lost about 4 pounds just like you and they kept mouthing off and saying that I had a bad Dr that didn't care and stuff like that. I love my Dr and used her with my first DD also and I mentioned to her what they had said. She said that it is normal to sometimes lose a couple pounds but she wasn't worried bc my baby is actually a little bigger than what she should be so she knows she's healthy and I eat like I always have, all the time lol I'm also average weight for my height. I would mention it to your Dr that they told you you had lost 4 pounds.
    misspriss_1987

Answer by misspriss_1987 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• WIC does that crap and it's annoying. They are not doctors and as long as your midwife says your fine, dont worry about it.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Personally when it comes to WIC I pretty much let everything they say go in one ear and out the other. Sure they have the best of intentions but they try to make statistics seem like a rule for every women and every pregnancy. They like to push things on you as well, so when they ask about what your doctor says tell them that your doctor says it's completely normal and the baby is healthy so no need to worry. I get yelled at because I haven't gained a lot (5 pounds over prepregnancy weight) and I lost 8 pounds in my first trimester, but they always ask what does your doctor think about this... She thinks the baby is healthy and that I'm eating like a pig! What's it to them really? They can't do anything, just keep doing like your doing and talk to your doctor before anyone at WIC.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• You'll get chewed out at WIC.

They are legally obligated to do that.

Smile and nod and say you've been sick. You're fine, losing weight that early is fine.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I lost 13 lb in my first trimester. Now at 24wks I'm only 2lb up from my pre-pregnancy weight. My midwife wasnt worried because the baby was growing right on track and still is. Also, their scale could be off. Once I thought I gained 9lb in a wk. But it turned out the WIC scale was way off! Lol
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 11:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2009