How much for a classmates b-day gift?

One of the little girls in my sons first grade class is having a birthday party at a skating rink. How much do you allow for your kid to spend on the gift? My son got her two of those Zhu-Zhu pet hamsters. That's $15 + gift wrap & bow (we like to go overboard with that stuff). Should I buy a cheap shirt too, or is that enough? In the past birthday parties were with kids he was really close with (went private K & had 8 or 9 kids in his class), so we spent a pretty fair amount, but this year the class is huge so who knows how many parties we will be invited to.

NicoleKelly

Asked by NicoleKelly at 1:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Personally, in these times, I would not allow my kids to attend birthday parties. Parents shouldn't be doing this right now. They need to be saving for utilities and such this year. TRUST ME, they are going to need money when the utilities skyrocket. By the same token, I would not be having parties for my children and expecting others to buy them gifts.. No, No and No.

While I understan what you are saying you shouldn't cut your kids off from fun times with their friends, and you should not not have b day parties for you children, There are cheap ways to throw b day parties for children. We are doing one for my 13 year old son next month, we don't have a ton of money but a few frinds and some games and cake is not that much.
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It is all up to what you can afford but we keep it at 20. and under....
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 1:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• One more thing if it is ur kiddos best friend then a little more but thats what we do because I remember when my son was younger there was a month that there was 9 or more parties, it does get costly...Good Luck
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• For my dd's classmates we spend about $15. If it was a cousin or close friend we'd do more, but at her age she's getting invited to all classmates parties and it adds up. These are 4 and 5 year old's parties, fwiw.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I will not spend more than $15 on a gift whenever my daughter is invited to a party. You can find a lot of good things for that amount I think.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 2:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We do $10. I have 4 kids and can't afford to go over that.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 2:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• You spent enough. I usually spend between $15-20.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I would spend around 5 bucks or let my kid make something for the other kid. It really depends on the situation. Also trying to buy things on clearence and having them on hand could come in handy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I think you spent plenty. I used to have a limit of $10 including wrapping paper and card, but now I might go up to $15 sometimes or $20 if two of my children are invited.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Sep. 30, 2009