Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teenage Son's Knee Pain

Hello~I am new to this site. I thought I would join and get some "mom" opitions and advice...

My question is~I have a 14 almost 15 years old sone that is a very active athlete! He is 5' 11" and weighs 140 "wet". Right now he is playing football and is experiencing severe knee pain. I have done research on "growth spurts" at this age but there is no tangible information out there! I feel so bad for him. I can tell that he is in alot of pain! He is very stubborn and refuses to take any pain medication and says he is fine! I know better though, HELP!! Thanks...

Answer Question

Asked by Footballmom15 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Has he been to a doctor yet? There are more serious things out there than just growth spurts, it may be a good idea to have some bloodwork done.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • It could be a lot of different things.. take him to sports medicine... his pediatrician or family doctor. I'm thinking of 3 things right now, but I'm not a doctor.. so I won't even mention them.

    Answer by Seven07 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • My son is 14 and playing football only 5 ft. 5" but complains about his knees too. I told him to talk to the trainer but he hasn't done that yet.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • he's an athlete, it could be anything. take him to see his doctor, he could have a torn meniscus or acl or pcl. take him to the doctor.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • I have a hockey player who os 16 and we learned the hard way last year-6weeks off-to NOT put off getting pain checked. If you have an orthopedic who specializes in sports near you take him there to get it checked out.

    Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

  • Our oldest had knee pain and it ended up being Osgood-schlatters disease. Don't let the disease part scare you ,it is very common amoung adolesants. His pain was at the top of his shin bone and part of his knee cap. Still it is a good idea to take him into see the doctor and let them make sure.

    Answer by pnwmom at 3:03 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

  • I agree - my ds is 16, and also an athlete. There have been times over the yrs that he's complained about his knees hurting, and he didn't want to do anything about it. Take him in to the Dr and get it checked.

    Some of the times, we've been told it was growing pains, and to use heating pads and ice packs, and to give him Motrin. Other times, he was injured and needed more treatment.

    It's better to be safe than sorry. If he complains, put it to him like this - would he keep playing with a helmet that was cracked, or throw it in the street and let his buddies back their car over it, etc? Of course not - he would take care of his equipment! Well, his knees and the rest of his body are also "equipment" - parts that aren't so easily replaced!

    Point out that even the Pros know the value of taking care of their bodies and being checked out when hurting, and if it's good enough for them, it should be for him, too!


    Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:43 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

  • Obviously, the common (and correct) answer here is GO TO A DOCTOR.
    Second to that, if $ is a problem, he should go to the trainer. If he doesn't want to admit to the pain for fear of losing play time, have him just ask, "Hey, d'ya think I should use ice or heat?" and keep it "casual". A good trainer will check thoroughly anyway.

    My gymnast daughter has the same pain as described by another post. We think it's Osgood's and she tapes it with pre-wrap (online, WalMart, of sporting store) before work-outs. Again, the trainer can tell him how & how tight.

    Answer by cutiemoose at 3:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

  • Wow, I could have written that post verbatim! Just took my 14 almost 15 year old active athlete, 5'11' 140 lb...yada yada! LOL We just went to the dr today, so that is where you start. She told him he needs to strength train his upper legs more than other kids since he has a problem with it. I know his wrestling coach will make sure he does it cause he's counting on this kid to win state for a team that hasn't done it in a very long time! So yes, take him to the dr, get thier advice and make sure he follows through with it!

    Answer by INKat at 12:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.