when to upgrade to baby cereal

me and my husband have a 2 month old and we have heard so many different things about when to feed them that rice cereal. our parents say now our friends say he's to young and our doc suggested putting a little in his bottle. i'm confused. i just don't want it to hurt him if he eats it to young.

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your doctor suggested putting some in his bottle?? My pediatrican told us none at all prior to 4 months. And if you put it in his bottle he couldn't get much out unless you poked a larger hole in the nipple, which is HORRIBLE because he could break off a piece and choke on it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Unless there is a health reason to do so I wouldn't put it in the bottle. Not at that young anyway. Now I have always been told when you can put a spoon in the childs mouth and not have them push it back out at you is when you should start cereals and baby foods (4-6 months). Unless your child is not getting full off a full bottle should you need to give him cereal yet. I don't think it would "hurt" him but he doesn't need it.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 1:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'd advise waiting until at least 6 mos. I also do not like that cereal crap, so I always advise skipping it and going straight to a fruit or vegetable.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My DD's pediatrician said to never put cereal in a baby's bottle. Cereal has texture and when the baby starts eating cereal, he/she needs to learn how to maneuver it with the tongue and mouth and learn how to swallow it with a spoon. Cereal is meant to be spoon fed cause if you put it in the bottle,what happens is..they just simply swallow the cereal, therefore not giving them the opportunity to learn different textures. Formula or breastmilk should be one feeding by itself and cereal another feeding by itself. Putting them together is not a good diet plan for your child. He says it's a lazy way of feeding your baby cereal. I totally understood what he meant after he explained it to me. I hope i helped :)
    babygomez

Answer by babygomez at 1:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If he is doing fine with the bottle now, he doesn't need it in the bottle. And they make special nipples for bottles when there is cereal in them so you don't have to poke a bigger hole like Anon said.
    I have heard to start cereals and such from 4-6 mos, since he is only two I would def wait! I actually started rice cereal for my dd when she was 3.5 mos and she was fine at that point! There are many signs to look for to know they are ready for cereal like sitting with support, wanting your food, tongue reflux gone (my dd's was gone after the 2nd feeding) which is what Katysmom above me stated. I had a what to expect the first year book that stated different time zones and such for the first year . They listed out all the signs to give them food and such.... maybe look online for those signs or get the book? I would still wait until next mo at earliest... but he is your baby!!! Do what you feel comfortable with!!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If feeding cereal through a bottle was so bad then I dont think they would make special bottle nipples for cereal in a bottle. My sone is almost 3 months old and I feed him cereal mixed wit hformula but out of a bowl but I dont think there is anything wrong with feeding it through a bottle. Go with your instincts....your the momy :) Thats what I did and I and 100% happy and comfortable with my decision. And my cousin feeds her 6 mo old cereal in a bottle before bed and he's doing great with it! You could give it a try and see how you feel after you observe hoe he reacts.
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 2:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I would think that if your baby isnt overweight...why the rush to give him solids? He gets all the nutrients he needs in his formula/BM. Our pediatrician said "no solids" till at least 6 months...or when the 8oz bottle is not enough anymore. Years ago, women put cereal in their infants bottles hoping they could get them to sleep through the night.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i think it depends on what you and your baby are comfortable with. I didn't start cereal until 3 or 4 months. Everybody told me when they did and i did it when i felt comfortable. she went from sleeping all night to up everynight choking down a bottle. So i started putting just a little bit in her bottle and if you buy the bigger age bottles the nipples are usually big enough for the cereal to go through because you aren't going to put much in their anyway. maybe a tablespoon to start. Just something to settle in their stomach. anyway i gave it to her at her night bottle and i only feed her with me. I don't lay her down with a bottle so that if something happens like choking i am their and laying them down causes ear infections. My baby was fine with the cereal. i think go with your mommy gut and what's comfortable for you. It does seem a little young to start. Is he hungry a lot and seems like he's not eating enough?
    myegoisprego

Answer by myegoisprego at 2:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Cigarettes are not good for anyone but they still sell them..of course they are going to try and sell "special bottle nipples"...they want it to sell,they don't care about you...That's so funny how SOME of you think that just because it's being sold then it's ok..LOL..and i never said there was anything wrong with mixing cereal with formula in a BOWL..that's perfectly fine. It's when you feed your baby a full bottle with cereal in it is when it's not a good diet plan when it's the right thing to give your child the opportunity to learn different textures..
    babygomez

Answer by babygomez at 4:04 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Unless directed by the doctor for reflux, no cereal in the bottle. Ever.

The American Academy of Pediatrics says 4-6 months.

Be advised that the only thing cereal will do is give him something different to sample. Formula is still his main food. And no, it won't make him sleep. Only the need to sleep will do that.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2009