Is the gym allowed to do this?

I didn't know where to ask this question.

But, my membership at the gym I was going to ended. Well, they renewed my membership without even telling me and have changed me for 2 months now and I didn't even know it until I checked my bank account. Now, they are saying I have to pay a penalty if I want to cancel my membership. Are they allowed to do this?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 1:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• You should have signed a contract when you signed up. Check the contract, you could have signed something saying they could do this.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 1:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• 24 hour fitness was recently involved in a class action lawsuit, because they were forcing members to give 30 days notice, and pay for those 30 days, they lost. They were required to return the money to all the members that were overcharged. Read the contract you signed when you enrolled, even with automatic transfers from your bank account, there should be an end of terms clause. It may also be under cancellation or early termanation procedure. If you can't find it, ask to speak with the gym manager, ask them to show you why you are liable if your term ended two months ago...also ask if they will waive the fees and flat cancel your account due to a misunderstanding. If the manager cant or wont help, then ask for the owner/corporate number..ask them to make it right. Good luck to you, i hope it works out
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 1:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'm having the same issue with Directv...
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• what does your original contract say?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I workout online with no contracts. No Issues! I would have a look at: www.dailyfitplanet.com Membership is super cheap and their support is awesome!
    maurinew

Answer by maurinew at 6:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I agree with the first response.

Answer by older at 9:13 AM on Sep. 30, 2009