constipation?

OUR 2 MONTH OLD DOESN'T POO AS MUCH AS I EXPECTED. SOMETIMES HE'LL GO 2 OR 3 DAYS. THE DOC SAID THAT'S NORMAL BUT MY SON TRIES TO GO. HE GRUNTS HIS FACE TURNS RED AND HE FARTS A LOT. IT JUST SEEMS LIKE IF YOU TRY TO GO YOU SHOULD GO. ANY ADVICE?

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 1:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds just like my 7 week old... i put karo syrup in his formula and it helps a little
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• As long as he does go within that 2-3 day time range I wouldn't worry too much. The other is probably just what you are seeing which is gas. No I would also watch and check the consistancy of the stool if it is really hard you may want to check with your doctor about adding pear juice to your childs diet to help with digestion.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 1:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Breast or forumla fed? When he does go, is it dry, hard, pellets?
    Karo is NOT recommended for babies, they specifically state this on their website.

If your baby is EBF, it is normal and safe for them to to up to about 10 days between bowel movements, as long as it's NOT dry, hard or pellet like when they do go. I'm not sure the guidelines for formula fed babies though. I do believe it is OK if they don't go every day, just not sure how long is considered safe, but the same rule. If it's not dry, hard pellets, it's not constipation.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If his poop is not coming out like hard pellets or VERY runny I wouldnt worry. My 4 month old was constipated with hard stools for a week then she started having runny stools so I thought we were good. Then she went back to hard. So I gave her a suppository (asked the dr). I ended up with a poop explosion. Constipation can lead to runny stool coming out around a blockage. Which is what she did. Babies dont HAVE to go but every 4-5 days. Some go more than that some dont.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Also they suggest any of the P juices cut with water or dark Karo syrup up to 3tbsp per bottle.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My baby was the same way. She always seemed to have stomach discomfort and they would be hard pellets and she would get so red and sometimes cry so much when she had to go. My doctor had me try different formula and different cereal but just didn't work. Finally after home remedies he had me give her a teaspoon of miralax once a day and she was finally more regular and comfortable and as she has gotten older (11 months now) she hasn't needed it at all anymore. I just have to watch her cereal intake. The rice stops her up and medication can too. Like tylenol. so watch that. Your baby is still young yet. i would bring it up again at the doctor if it doesn't get better and you think its a problem. I talked about it maybe three times before he realized she was really having a horrible time with it. good luck.
    myegoisprego

Answer by myegoisprego at 1:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Be very careful with Miralax. It's not approved for pediatric use, and lots of side effects have been reported. From what I hear, it's very close to antifreeze. It can bring on autistic symptoms. Regression, loss of speech, many things. I've actually seen this happen to a friend of mine's son. He may have been autistic to begin with, that we don't know, but the Miralax made things so bad.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• No Karo EVER, no prune juice at this age. If he's not passing hard ry pellets he's not constipated...his system is still figuring things out.

If she's introduced solids, stop...it's too early.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2009