how do i

so my daughter is almost 3 weeks and it seems like whenever she is awake she has to be held i can not put her down until she is sleeping or she will scream and cry until i pick her back up i knwo now she is young so it may be ok but im wondering of how to break the habit of needing to be held all the time so she is not like this forever i dont wanna be carrying her around everywhere when she is 2 help please

mom2kaydence09

Asked by mom2kaydence09 at 1:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Okay first this is not a habit.

Get a sling

you carried her for nine months all she knows is you your smell, movement, sound. You are her comfort she will outgrow wanting to be held all the time, but for now just hold here she is learning trust and needs security

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 1:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I agree with pp, not a habit. I have a Moby Wrap and stick my baby and go about my business, she loves it!
    Emberbaby

Answer by Emberbaby at 1:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I totally agree with abellvalerie. everything she knows and has has changed and she needs time to adjust. At this age they don't really develope habits i don't think. Plus i heard that babies that are held and nutured more when they are little usually grow up to have better self esteem and confidence later in their life because they know you are always there no matter where they go or what they do. My daughter is 11 months old and we are starting to get to that point of not making it a habit. She is somewhat having seperation anxiety and cries and cries and follows me around the house but sometimes if i leave her she gets bored and walks around or goes and plays. Now i feel like she is starting to understand things so now i am trying to make it known i am not going anywhere but not holding her all the time. Good luck. Right now you guys should just bond and be close. =) Enjoy each other.
    myegoisprego

Answer by myegoisprego at 1:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have tried three different slings, I had a Baby Katan when my son was newborn, and I loved it...just as he got more wiggly..I thought I needed something more secure, I bought a snugli...and I really didn't care for it as much...it seemed to impede his movement too much, and It just didn't look like something I would want to sit in, the last and best option so far has been an Ergo sling, it's wonderful. the Ergo is also the most comfortable for me to wear, if you can go in and try some on with the baby...I strongly suggest it. I did not sling my oldest, and so far she is much clingier than my son..he is a very content baby, and independant as to where my daughter is more attention seeking, and very snugly, all the time. It might just be personality differences, but I think my son has the better temperment and wonder if it isn't because he is a sling baby.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 1:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If you don't want to hold her all the time, I wouldn't advise a sling. She won't be in your arms all the time but she will still be on you. Personally, I think it's just a baby thing. She will outgrow it. It just takes time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2009