Is it a common idea that Christians should not celebrate Halloween?

If you think they shouldn't, why not? Do you celebrate or not (I know this has been asked already a couple of times, humor me please) and what denomination (if any) are you?

I'm Catholic, we celebrate All Saint's Day as it is so we just tie that into anything else we do with our children as far as letting them dress up and go door to door on Oct. 31st. I made a comment on Facebook that I know what the kids will be dressing up as this year already, and one of my friends asked why I celebrate it...he's protestant and we're always getting into discussions about our different beliefs, so now I'm curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• From what I have observed Christians are pretty split on this issue. Those of us who are of a slightly more liberal frame of mind celebrate and those on the more conservative or more literal side tend not to.

For myself and my kids we are able to separate the religious/supernatural meanings from the secular and celebrate it as just a fun day for the kids to dress up. My church offers an alternative to trick or treating so we do that. My oldest now helps with it and enjoyes the little kids. My twins, due to their developmental issues are much like younger kids so they think it's great. Hubby and I jump in with the fun and dress up too. It's just a fun time to be a family.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 4:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i have a friend who is very religious and doesnt celebrate halloween because it is "the day of the devil". I bite my tongue lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Even if your not of the belief of the Actual holiday itself, what is wrong with dressing up and trick or treating for candy? All the kids know is they get to be silly, crazy, cute, spooky, etc and get free candy. It's fun.
    I grew up Catholic. We celebrated every year. Carved pumpkins, cut-out paper bats to hang in the window and had spooky spider webs all over the porch. Now I am older, I am not Catholic, I am Pagan and I still celebrate with my kids, the same way I did as a child. Now it means more to me than just a silly candy day, as I personally observe the holiday, but I find it amusing that those who don't celebrate consider it evil. It is in no way an evil day. But each person sees what they will.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't know yet what his argument against it is...I'm waiting on that. I just replied "Superficially - because it's fun :-) " when I saw his question. I know he's going to come back with something though...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Im Southern Baptist and growing up we did not celebrate halloween. I do with my kids, but we dont do anything wicked or satanic... its just all fun. We sometimes go to churches who have "Fall Festivals" on that day.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 2:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• yes, i grew up in the Church of Christ & Halloween was evil. the teaching behind that thought was that it was a "devil worshipers" holiday and that it was a celebration of evil spirits. it was wrong to participate in anything Halloween b/c it showed that we condoned the evil. however, we had a "Fall Festival" every year the same weekend as Halloween & we dressed up in costumes & got lots of candy... hooray for hypocrisy!

Halloween is my 2nd favorite holiday, but my DD is still too young for trick or treating, but we all dress up & hand out candy. this year we finally own our house so we are gonna decorate it like theres no tomorrow! my DH & i still attend the Church of Christ on occasion (Christmas/Easter), but we are looking for a different church to belong to.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• my In laws are strict southern Baptists and they celebrate it. Course the whole church dresses up their kids in non scary costumes and hand out candy from their cars in the parking lot of the church.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have lots of Christian friends and they all celebrate Halloween. I'm a Buddhist and I celebrate it too- not in a religious sense, but in a dress-up, make spooky cupcakes, and give/receive candy kind of way!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 2:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i go to a non denominational church( bible based) i do let my kids celebrate as long as the arent some killer or evil costum... i try to make it nice and fun. our church has a fall festavale for those who want their kids to dress up and not go trick or treating... again no scary/evil costumes allowed.
    whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 3:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• HALLOWEEN began as a pagan holiday in which it was believed that the dead/evil spirits could roam the earth and inhabit the living. That is why jack-o-lanterns were carved as they thought it was another evil spirit.

ANYWAY, after the Catholic/Christian movement began to take over, it was changed to ALL HALLOWED EVE in honor of the Christians who had passed and were to be remembered & prayed for. It then became a Catholic/Christian celebration day with Nov 1 being ALL SAINTS DAY.

Personally, we do the Halloween candy thing but I have always forbidden my children to do anything of evil nature (witches, devils, etc.) My son went last time as a Reese Cup! I made the costume from cardboard with all the ingredients listed on back, bar code, everything! He had a blast. Also, churches are now having HARVEST PARTIES with the same dress code restrictions.
    wvwoodsartscraf

Answer by wvwoodsartscraf at 3:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2009