Attention all breastfeeding MAMAS!!

I have a friend that is having trouble getting enough milk to come in. She said she does not want to give up breast feeding but can't keep up. What can you do to increase your milk supply? She has been breasfeeding for 2 months. I breastfeed but never had trouble with my supply. I can't help her.

oliviahank

Asked by oliviahank at 1:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nurse on demand!! Fenugreek can help, also blessed thistle... Domperidone is what saved my life! Its a miracle pill!! Pump AFTER the baby nurses, and also drink plenty of water, eat right, get plenty of rest, eat "real" oatmeal everyday. Things like that. There is a breastfeeding group on here that has great advice. Also try kellymom.com! GL
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Drink more water for one. Let me see what else I can find. Has she tried pumping when not actually feeding the baby?? How is she sure she's not getting enough in?? If baby has six or more wet diapers a day she is doing fine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• She should nurse as often as possible, even if it's for just a few minutes at a time, drink plenty of water, and eat oatmeal. Those helped me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• When I was having problems with my milk supply I drank Mothers Milk Tea and it REALLY helped! I noticed more of a supply the very next day. I found the tea at n herbal supplement store
    landons.mama

Answer by landons.mama at 2:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Brewers yeast might help. Also, the more she pops that baby on the boob, the more milk she'll make. I BF with one boob and have been for the past 4 months. My son is 8 months and I make sure to nurse frequently to make sure I keep a good supply. No pump works like a baby, the way they suck triggers more lactation. It's def frustrating, and often moms think they aren't makin enough milk and quit when really they are! Tell her to nurse every hour for a couple days (every 2 at night). It seems like a lot, but it'll get things goin! Tell that mama to hang in there and she's doin a great job BFing!!!!
    COgle3

Answer by COgle3 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• All the above is good. If she's changing 6-8 dipes then she IS making enough.

Have her drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group. We can help. I cannot tell you HOW many moms I've seen over the years who thought they were doing it wrong when they were actually doing everything RIGHT. My observation is that some 90 percent of moms who THINK they have a problem only have one of perception.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Why does she feel that she is not making enough milk? The answer to this will help us help her. If she's nursing on demand, baby is gaining, and she's changing at least 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period, her supply is ok. Fussy baby means nothing. It's actually good for baby to fuss at the breast, as it signals the body to produce more. Pump output doesn't mean anything either, nor does feeling empty.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2009