Donating gifts

Does anyone know how you go about joining one of those organizations were you help needy families during the holidays? I would love to get involved with one of these programs and at the same time, be able to teach my son about giving to the needy. I live in Central NJ...Plainfield, to be exact. If anyone has any info that could help, I would be really greatful.

PassionateMom

Asked by PassionateMom at 1:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Holidays

• Walmart always does Angel Trees. You could also call a homeless shelter, church, food bank and the such and get a name.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Check your town or sorrounding areas for a local Junior Chamber of Commerce chapter, or Jaycees. I am involved in our town's chapter and we "adopt" at least 10 families every Christmas and provide gifts, food, toiletries, etc. If you go through a reputable organization they will ensure that the families that you are donating to are pre-screened, and can even give you ideas of what the family may need.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 2:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• First of all, kudos on teaching your son about humanitarianism! I was raised in the Salvation Army church so I've grown up volunteering and giving with a joyful heart. My husband was not raised this way but has come to appreciate the work that is done to help those in need. And thankfully we've been able to enstill a sense of giving in him.

Here is the contact information for the Salvation Army in Plainfield. They will be THRILLED to hear from you, I'm sure, especially given this tough economy.

615 Watchung Ave
    Plainfield, NJ 07060-1797
    (908) 756-2595

Thank you so much for what you are doing and are going to do.

I pray that you will be richly blessed, this season, as you are going to be a blessing to others!
    -Ange
    EwansMommy

Answer by EwansMommy at 3:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Thank you so much for your kind words and helpful info. I will definately be giving them a call.
    PassionateMom

Answer by PassionateMom at 3:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• There is a group right here on Cafemom called " Moms In need of Christmas help". You can adopt families in need in your area.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 29, 2009