How do I get out of this?

Within the next two weeks I will be getting a grant check from the college I am attending for $2500. My husband's sister wants me to loan her $1000 so she can fly to Texas and get her boyfriend and they can drive back in his car together. The problem is this guy has been known to drive drunk. The only reason he is in Texas is because he decided he didn't want to be with her anymore and took off on a bus. I guess now he has a car and a Texas job and wants to come back. I really don't want to loan them the money because he has no way of paying me back and I don't really think Kyrstal will be safe anyway. The problem is my husband guilt tripped me into it and has already told her yes. Now I am all pissed because I worked hard for the grant money by getting good grades and I wanted to get a laptop to help me with school!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• The government has issued you this money for YOUR studies, not to finance this guys move. Don't do it, you will regret it. Tell your hubby he can get a second job and loan them the money himself!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Tell them no! It's your money, do what you want with it. They will get over it.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Um if the money is for school- use it for school, jmo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i'd say no also. that is your money for school! get the laptop and stock the rest away in a savings (with just your name on it) you will need it later for your student loans - trust me. I've been in school and my grants are about to be done with and now i have to get loans to finish out my education and i still have 3 more years!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 1:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Just say NO!
    If it were me...I would cash the check, buy what I need for school and the rest would be put up...dh can get mad stomp his feet, cry--whatever he wants...He can get over it.
    If he really wants to help, let him come up with 1000 himself...Why not just tell him (sisters BF) to save up some gas $ and drive himself---i really dont see why she has to fly there to drive back w/him.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Don't let anyone pressure you into doing something you don't want to do, explain the need for the computer and tell her you are sorry but no can do. Try and find an alternative solution that does not include your grant. Tell her she can get a personal loan from an institution, or maybe an advance on her job if she has one.

Answer by older at 1:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Heck no. This guy could put her in so many dangers that you and she couldn't even imagine and for you husband to think this is alright is beyond me! Tell him that you just, in you heart, know this is a bad situation, and that if she wants to get there she can find a way on her own, but you can't help her. The tell him that you worked for the money you are getting, it's for your studies and what YOU deem necessary. Ask him why he thinks it's a good idea anyway, for her to go get the loser that ran away from her in the first place. And if he thinks he's STILL right, I'm with the PP, tell him to get a 2nd job and give her that money, not yours.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I wouldn tloan them the money. Chances are they wont pay it back. He needs to find a way to pay for it himself. He can stay and save it and in the mean time she may move on. Just put your foot down and say NOOOOOO!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Loan, now that a joke because you might as well kiss that money good bye if you give it to her.

Never mix money with family and friendship. NEVER!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Say no!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2009