My husband takes off on his motorcycle for 2-3 hours at a time. I think it is insane. Why does he do it?

I just think riding around for that long is weird. Is it a man thing. I mean If I took off for that long and reported back that I was "just out" . He would think I was crazy. He did not run errands. He said he went no where. He said he likes to just be on open road. Oh well. Men are crazy.

oliviahank

Asked by oliviahank at 2:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Relationships

• That's not crazy. That is how your DH likes to unwind. Some men hunt, some fish, some play sports. Yours just likes to ride a motorcycle. That is far from weird. Lots of men like to go riding like that. Just give him a big hug and a kiss when he gets back, ask him if he had a good time, and tell him thank you for all that he does to contribute to the family.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I think you have to enjoy riding to understand I am scared to death to ride, but my dh does and would do the same thing
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 2:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'm not saying he's messing around but that sounds like a possibilty, simply from the fact that he's gone so long with no excuse. But it's also very possibly like he just DOES like being out on the open road....just out feeling free with time to think. Sounds nice to me!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• my dad is a biker, and if you don't enjoy riding the bike, you have no idea how wonderful it is. it might just be a stress reliever for him. when you're on the open road with the wind in your face, it sort of feels like you're flying. the hum of the engine drowns everything out, and you don't have to think about anything. try going for a ride with him. i miss going for bike rides with my dad and hope to get a Harley myself one day.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• DH and I do the same thing. Some days we just want to ride. We don our gear, climb on and just go. We ride and ride, he'll point out a cloud or the way the sun reflects off the horizon. We'll stop for a soda, or stop at a roadside park, we do little of nothing, but just be there. It's almost like therapy. A moment in time when you don't have to think, no phones, no schedule, no obligations, just quiet. It's time to yourself, and for us just quiet time together. It can be quite relaxing. You should go with him some, I'd bet he'd like for you to share that with him.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I do that on the 4wheeler sometimes. One weekend i put 100 miles on it driving around the same field and small race track lol. My boyfriend was making fun of me, but he does it too on his dirt bike.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Mine would love to do that if he had a motorcycle. Recently he spent a day with his buddies doing that and the kids and I went to visit my family. I don't like motorcycles at all. I'm not on a crusade or anything to get them banned, I just don't like them. He already said when he gets one he'll do the same think you're describing and I can only say if that ever happens he better get ready to give me the same amount of time to do whatever I want without calling every five minutes.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My dh loves to go out on his bike and this summer I overcame my fear and went with him.  It was awesome and now I love it.  We went out together a lot this summer and it was wonderful spending the time with him. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 3:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• guys are guys, right? :)
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 3:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Well seeing as how I ride bikes I can see how it can be done regularly. Unfortunately for me I never really get to anymore, but if giving the chance would stay gone for a lot longer then that. Plus whats important to women are not always important to men. My husband couldnt understand for the life of him why it took me 4 hours to do Christmas shopping and I didnt think I had enough time.

EarthMom6

Answer by EarthMom6 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2009