Do most insurance companies cover IUDs?

Specifically, the Empire Plan (state of NY health insurance). I want to get Paragard, the copper IUD, but am uncertain as to whether it will be covered by my insurance. It's difficult to make a phone call at work, especially regarding the subject matter of the call and that I will most likely be on hold a long time. I have no privacy at work. I can't find the answer on line and they responded to an email telling me to call! Anyone have Empire or work for them and know if it is covered?

elwalters77

Asked by elwalters77 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Health

• Mine didn't I have loomis and I had to pay $600 for the paragaurd
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i didnt get the paraguard but i have medicare (sc) and i got my mirenia for free. idk try emailsing then again or keep calling then to see. i know you dont want people in your buznaz but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Hi Pam.. I have empire and I asked some year ago.. they cover for the pills and patches.. but not the iud's.. Well not the one I wanted.. it was the Mirena, I believe they cover the medical visit and you have to pay for the iud itself.. If I wanted the mirena I had to pay $75 dollars extra, which is not much comparing the cost of getting pregnant lol.. ask your husband to ask personel at his facility, they should know... if not.. then you will have to call.. unless you can wait and give me time and I'll call for you? let me know..
    yvonne37

Answer by yvonne37 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My insurance covered the insertion of it but not the device itself. So I would've had to pay $600.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• oh and by the way.. sorry i called you pam..lol.. I was comfused with another law enforcement wife friend :)
    yvonne37

Answer by yvonne37 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2009