Two Daddies but no Mommy...

I live in a large townhouse complex and my next door neighbors are a gay couple (2 men) who are both young (20's) and are so nice and hardworking and overall great neighbors.
They have 2 kids that they adopted, a boy and girl that are 3 and 4. The kids came from very abusive homes and were severly neglected before being adopted. Now the other neighbors are not so nice. They do not allow thier kids to play with these men's children. If they come outside to play, the moms shoo their kids inside. The 4 year old girl wanted to play with the other little girls and the mom was so mean to her and basically slammed the door in her face. I let my kids play with them and have no problem with it, the little girl told me people are mean to her sometimes because she has 2 daddies but no mommy. That broke my heart. Here these kids are treated bad because of their parents lifestyle! What do you think? Why are these moms so mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• they dont understand, that would break my heart too
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 2:21 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• They are like that because they are close minded bigots. You are doing the right thing. Good job momma!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• it's not the child's fault WHO the parents are or how they choose to live, good for them for taking care of the kids
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• its different and people fear things that are different. that breaks my heart too. its not the childrens fault.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• That is awful, that poor little family. It is hard to imagine that someone could hold so much distrust in their heart as to inadvertantly hurt a child. Maybe you could invite everyone over for coffee, or cocktails and let everyone mingle...it might help. If you can do something soon...the nice weather may hold out, giving you extra space outdoors. I hope the small minded can see that it isn't kind, or christian to act that way to a child
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 2:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It's because some parents are bigots and punish children because of their close mindedness. It has been proven that children benefit from a 2 parent household no matter if it is 2 moms, 2 dads, or 1 mom and 1 dad.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Oh that's awful! Shame on them! I would go knock on their door and have a heart to heart with them! They are affecting these children's lives! I would ask them had they rather see them in an abusive home and have bruises on them, and now is it ok to let your kids play with them! OH That makes me so angry!! I dont applaud gay couples but god bless them for taking in these children and saving their lives! My heart goes out to them!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Well, you're only guessing on what all these other neighbors feel. You really only know what you feel. I know gay couples, some I like, some are jerks. Doesn't have anything to do with the kids, but I want nothing to do with the jerkiness that goes on.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• if i were you I'd ask the other mothers what there problem was, and tell them all off, that is unacceptable to be mean to children because of their parents lifestyle!!
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 3:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• The parents are ignorant. This "couple" was loving enough to take on two kids that needed a family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2009