FootBall Coach threated by kids and parents

Our highschool varsity football coach retired last yr after 20 years, and my husband who is a bit younger, 31, took over the job. So far it has been a nightmare. The players have acted like brats, they do not listen to anything he says, they skip practice and basically just goof off the entire practice anyway, and just ignore him and are downright rude, even calling him bad names.
Last Friday he caught 6 players at the away game drinking alcohol in Mountain dew bottles durning the half time. He has suspended all these players, and they may be kicked off the team after further review. Because of this he has recieved so much hell from the parents saying he is being unfair, and that kids will be kids. He has recieved threats from some of the parents and our yard has been vandalized
Jut wondering if coaches are not valued anymore, is it even worth coaching now? And do parents really think this sets a good example for their kid

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You know...it is ashame that teens these days are so disrespectful. I would have thought that a coach would have better luck with the kids than just a teacher. I commend your husband. He has a tough job and one that he sounds as though he has a handle on. Perhaps the old coach didn't care as much...or just turned the other way to get along...but I think your husband is doing the right thing. He is setting an example for those teens...a better example than their own parents, obviously! Unfortunately, not all people are good parents. If it means being suspended or being kicked off the team, the students need to realize your husband is not playing around with them. He's there to guide and train. If they aren't willing to listen and abide by the rules then send them on their way. I'm sure there are other...more appreciative teens out there who would love to be a member of the team.
    sonja911

Answer by sonja911 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If he is being threatened, he needs to call the police. Students can be charged with a crime. Parents can be made to sign an "acceptable behavior" contract that holds them accountable and their child. The student can be made to sign the same contract. If they refuse, their child doesn't play. The last coach probably didn't have this problem. Your husband is filling his spot and has to make is his own spot. Tell him to be patient, but don't put up with this. Call the police and make a statement.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We just had a discussion at work today, this generation has no respect. Maybe not kick them off the team but make them sit out a few games? Compromise? Are you in the south? I know they take football very serious down there. Maybe its just an adjustment to change phase that will pass.. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Yes, kids will be kids but underage drinking at half time is WRONG. They deserve to be not only kicked off the team but suspended from school. Also, he may be held responsible if anything happens to those underage kids drinking because he is the coach and in charge of those kids at the games. Those parents are the wrong ones and irresponsible. They are teaching their kids that it is ok to break the law and get no punishment. Personally, I would stop coaching immediately and I would let the school know that it is because some parents are making it impossible to coach a responsible, hardworking TEAM. Also, CALL THE COPS when your house is vandalized and point them to the players that were suspended from the team.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• so your last coach had short timer's attitude and let everyone get away with everything for the last few years, and now your ol man is paying for it . i feel for ya.
    if your ol man is continually doing the RIGHT thing it will all bear him out eventually. let them know through his consistency that he is not backing down and is in control. do what you have to do legally, and don't take it personally. these kids have had a free ride for a long time.
    BUT, your ol man may want to seek some advice on how to reach these kids on their ground and find a happy middle, coaching goes both ways. and even though he is ultimately in control and the coach, coaches ( imo) are servants to players. a good leader must first be a good servant.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:09 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Compromise? Are you in the south? I know they take football very serious down there. Maybe its just an adjustment
    so funny!!!!!
    you've never been to an OSU vs Michigan college game have ya?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:11 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• I think it depends on how the previous coach was training the kids based on game, value, and morals. Maybe the previous coach was allowing these kids to do a lot of things your hubby is not... I would definitely contact the previous coach and find out just what exactly were the rules, morals, and values within the team while the previous coach was coaching. This might help hubby understand some of the underlying problems. If the kids and parents are simply just rebelling, then perhaps the old coach could come and do a lecture to support your hubby.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 11:21 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Actually I live in Michigan, but I am talking High School football is taken a lot more serious down south.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Sep. 30, 2009