Do you think that military families are "breeders"?

I have heard that term a lot around here (Fort Hood, TX) when civilians are describing military families. I used to think it sounded mean, but now I wonder if we aren't bigger "breeders" than most civilians.

For instance, I once read that (statisticly) more children are conceived in times of war (makes sense), and that the majority are the children of soldiers. Indeed, I have seen many military families with 3, 4, or more children around here.

Also, when my beloved deployed last year, we had just discovered I was pregnant. During a phone call, he laughed and said that he thought there could be something to this "breeder" theory. Apparently, about three-fourths of the male soldiers in his unit had a wife who was either pregant or had just given birth!

Do you think the term "breeders" is a fair label for military families?

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LOL never hear that before BUT I have heard many times (by the wives) that they can count the children by the deployments heir hubby had. LOL.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't know too many military families but the ones I do know don't have any more kids than the families I know who aren't in the military. Usually 2-3.
    Anonymous

• I think it's a horrible term, but as far as babies being born.....

You have to think, you're going to have more sex before and after a deployment. Baby boomers are proof of that. I think it's a fair term, but I'm a military wife who is in the military as well. We have two boys.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 2:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• no i dont think its fair.
    obviously there are going to be more babies born/convied during war times we have seen it before and i dont think its going to change.
    everyone i know has 3-4 kids. we are currently working on # 3. but think about it.really. your over there your geting shot at the your wife and kids flash threw your mind and makes you realize how much you love your family and want to make it grow! we have a good insurance plan and can afford to take care of them. is it fair to say that people who live in the ghetto are breeders too b/c they like sex but cant afford the BC ???? no its not.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 2:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'm an Army wife and have never heard that but it's hilarious! All of the Army wives I know have one with one on the way or 2 or more! We have two boys and I think that the term is not only funny, but true!
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't like the term "breeders" but I do think SOME military families are larger than average for whatever reason. When my DH was in the Navy he had a friend who had a new baby everytime he came home from deployment. - he and his buddies joked that he kept his wife pregnant while he was gone so she wouldn't be tempted to cheat. DH has another friend who is still in who now has 8 kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Anon :51, my dear one made the same joke when we found out FOUR DAYS before he deployed that I was pregnant. "I just knocked you up so that you would go live with your mom out in the country....away from men!" LOL
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I just remembered something funny my grandmother has said a lot. She got pregnant every time he came up on orders (whether a tour of duty or a full family transfer), and they had 8 kids total. She often jokes, "I was so happy when he retired!"
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• The military families I know only have 1-2 kids so not sure that the fact is true.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 3:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If that were the only way it was being used I could maybe see it - but it is also a degrogatory slang word for any of us who have children but either those who choose not to; or by some in the GAL community...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2009