Is it really "DEPRESSION" if your symptoms are not consistent.

My mother is being treated for depression. She does have a lot of issues that take a toll on her mental health. But on some days, she is this happy-go-lucky mother that I know and love and on other days, she is as depressed as a dog in a hole. And then sometimes, she would be happy one moment and then sad the next. Certain things do trigger her depression issues, I guess and when it starts, it could persist for days. But then boom, she is happy again.

I am very confused as I dont know much about depression and really need to know if she is really clinically depressed or even bipolar.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Health

• it could also be hormonal or even a vitamin defenciency.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It sounds more like bipolar disorder than depression. Have you talked to her about it? What does she think?
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 3:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Sounds like Bi polar disorder or manic depressive disorder. Both of which would cause good days and bad days. And swift mood changes. All you can do is try and be supportive and there for her.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Depression, according to researchers, is the body's resonse to repressed anger. Of course the symptoms come and go -it's not possible to be completely furious all the time. When the anger comes back full-force, the symptoms amplify. When the anger abates, the symptoms also abate.

Mood swings are a symptom of depression.

Have you ever wondered what she's mad about? It probably makes sense, whatever it is.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2009