Why does my ankle always "pop"...

I am always able to pop or crack my right ankle, not the left, the right only. Does this mean anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Health

• Im not sure what it means, but i can just move my ankle in a circular motion and it will pop. Its always been that way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It's nitrogen popping in your joints. It's the same thing when you crack your knuckles. My knees and ankles pop loudly.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 3:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It's probably just a longish tendon snapping past a bone. As long as it doesn't hurt, it's probably no indication of anything more important.

If you can only pop it every now and then, it's just the air bubbles in your joint dispersing into smaller bubbles --it takes a while to join up again so it will work again. Most people experience increased range of motion from 'popping.' At least initially.

Either way, it's probably just the result of having twisted your ankle once or twice years ago.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2009