HELP! Cost Cutting Needed!

OK, how do you manage saving and be frugal when you are the only one on board? Spouse believes this is a good idea however is NOT a rule follower. Example: I stated too much money was wasted on junk foods, so what is purchased when he shops.....yep, junk food. I'm not a "couponer" because I buy wherever is cheapest which is usually like Dollar General, Family Dollar, Big Lots, etc. Also I buy generic. I used to try couponing but found it was cheaper to do generics. Only certain items are name brand.

I do watch for sale stuff, price per pound, etc. but can't seem to get anyone to understand you can't have money and blow it too.

Also, I can sit at home forever and he can't sit still to save his soul but must go-go-go! That, as I've explained, costs gas and gas costs money. So each time he starts the engine, there goes dollars.

I'm currently seeking outside employment because cost of living is going up up up

wvwoodsartscraf

Asked by wvwoodsartscraf at 3:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• DONT let him do the shopping and maybe YOU need to be in charge of the finances if he is such a spendthrift. Try talking to him about this and see if that helps. Best of luck to you becuase men tend NOT to listen to serious issues when a spouse wants a serious talk. Hope yours is adult enough to listen to reason.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I actually buy generics as well as use coupons. One of our local grocery stores does BOGO's and I can use coupons on top of the BOGO's. I actually save close to 60 dollars on Sunday. I was so proud of myself. I sit with the sales adds and my coffee on Sunday and figure out who has the best deals on what so that I can map out my errands for the week. Most of the stores I use are on my home from work and just outside of our neighborhood. Just start taking a closer look at what is on sale as well as coupons and go shopping on your own. I do it and take my time so that I get the best deals possible.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Buy him a bicycle.

Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store: http://www.ehow.com/how_5223945_save-even-money-grocery-store.html

Answer by rkoloms at 6:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I joined a membership shopping portal on the internet in 04/09. I have saved almost $500.00 since then buying the same things I always buy, from the same retailers I always shop with. In addition to the savings it has helped my whole family learn to #1 wait, #2 reconsider our purchases. It is a whole lot easier to avoid impulse buys and bright and shiny "I don't need its" when shopping online. I even buy some of the non perishable groceries online. I use coupon codes and promo offers for free shipping deals...so in the long run...I am saving on gas and wear and tear too! I use Aisle19.com, for exclusive discounts, and cashback, Bradsdeals.com, for promo codes, SearchAllDeals.com for promo codes as well. My personal Favorite "steal" was Resturant.com printable gift certificates. Normally you can get a $25 coupon for just $10 dollars, but with a bradsdeal I got 80% off. so a $25 value for $2...happy to share other finds too!
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 6:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• This willhelp you save a bunch, plus it pays you back Its an online mall. Click here to visit.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009