Can Someone Help Me Understand What Government Policy is vs. Law.

I don't get exactly what a government "policy" is. I know that groups of laws are made under a policy that supports what the policy says. However, what are the policies? Do they have official names? Like do we know that laws A, B and C are under, say, policy X? Or is "policy" just a vague term that people just make up when they want to describe something a group of laws have in common? Are "acts" the same as policies? Is there a list of government policies out there that I can see? Can you name any for me?

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid; I've never thought about this before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

•  WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN-
    WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN. POLICY AND LAW? *The main difference between policy and law is who has the authority to create it and how it can be enforced ...

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEENWHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN. POLICY AND LAW? *The main difference between

vbruno

• The Common Room: There's a Difference Between a Policy and a Law

Feb 7, 2009 ... There's a Difference Between a Policy and a Law. The Stay is basically a press release about policy. It does not have the force of law. ...

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We have a policy to no negotiate with kidnappers. It is illegal to kidnap. One is a premise of operation, one is the rule (or law) that shapes behavior.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• A law is enforceable by the judicial system and its main purpose is to bring justice to the society.

A policy is a set of rules usually set by Government, organizations, and corporations to achieve certain goals.

A policy should comply with the law.

(Like you can not have a policy that says go out every Thursday and drive drunk.)

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2009