School fundraisers,Do you participate everytime?

We just had school fund raiser and both of my kids had order forms for cookie dough. The school does this one twice per year. Last year we took a couple orders one of the two times. I am personally warn out w everything going on lately but I almost always end up feeling guilty about doing it. How do deal w/these things and do you always do them?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 3:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• I used to, but not anymore. I don't have the money.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• no...we have had 2 this year already...CRAZINESS!!!
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:39 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• no. I have three kids in school and every other week they are selling something. I don't even try anymore.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't always buy things.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It's too much! There usually two candy sales and then the holiday wrapping sales...THEN wait til the book fair's start!! Uh huh...free public school my ass! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• No. The cookie dough is outrageously priced here. $15 to bake 2 dozen cookies? not going to happen. Candy bars I will buy but cookie dough, nope.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I just donated to the PTA instead. Any amount you could give to the PTA is the whole amount, not a percentage.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Yes. Our school does not have the children do very many fundraisers. We have a fall pageant every year to raise money. Other than that they don't do much at all. Last year my son had one other fundraiser. It was a Math-A-Thon. The money raised from that did not go to the school. The money went straight to St. Jude's. We have done one fundraiser this year, for my son's youth football league, not associated with the school. The reason we chose to do that one is to raise the money to purchase uniforms for all the children so that even if the parents couldn't afford to buy them, the kids could still play.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 4:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My son only has one fundraiser a year, but it has been a very limited candle selection the past two years. I generally wait until everyone else we sell to has ordered, then I order up to the next nearest dollar amount or product amount to get him a prize. And I always try to order from co-workers kids' fundraisers, but sometimes I can't afford it. But I only have one child, with one fundraiser per year. And only about 3 of my co-workers bring their kids' things in.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It's almost easier to agree on an amount and then write a check to the PTA. If you don't need cookie dough, wrapping paper, spaghetti feeds and all the other crap crammed down our throats. Oh and don't get started on the school AUCTION!!!! OH the pressure.

BUT, all that bitching, our school makes like 70K on the auction alone a year which goes to improving the school which is from the seventies and needs it desperately.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2009