I Want To Start Homeschooling My Son, Where Do I Begin?

My Son Is 3 And Super Smart. We Want To Home School Him For A Few Years. Where Do We Start? Can You Do Preschool Homeschooling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Call your local school board office and ask them what your state says is acceptable regarding preschool. They will also give you all the information for homeschooling as you have to sign up through them to be able to get credit for it.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Each state has it's own laws. In Indiana you do not have to sign up or register. All you have to do is keep attendance records starting when the child turns 7. You can find what your state requires by searching on google.

The best thing you can do now is read books about homeschoolins and how kids learn. Books by Thomas Armstrong and John Holt would be a good start. There are a lot of homeschooling moms on the Mothering Magazine discussion boards. Mothering Magazing has a lot of good info about homeschooling.

You do not need to do formal teaching with your 3 year old. Take him lots of places and have fun. Some educational toys are good. Puzzles are great. Wait on reading, teaching kids too early can be bad.

You may want to go back to college to learn more.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Since preschool is not mandatory you can most certainly do it with out having to get approval and all that stuff in your state. I bought some flash cards and work books and use those every other day and the opposite days we just try to do some sort of craft that teaches things about science etc. There are a lot of websites to get free preschool activities on. If you are looking to home school past preschool then you need to look up the laws in your state as each one is different on what they require you to do. Our state does not require kindergarten, but they have to test to get into 1st grade if they don't take kindergarten and I am considering homeschooling kindergarten too, but am not sure about further.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If you have the money, this is an awesome phonics program. The Kindergarten class I student taught in used it and I later purchased the home version for the daycare I run out of my home. Unfortunately, it is pricey.

http://www.zoophonics.com/
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 5:21 PM on Sep. 29, 2009