5 year old is wetting herself during the day, what do I do?

My 5 year old daughter over the last month has been peeing in her pants during the day mainly. She sometimes has accidents at night. But over the last week she has started to have them @ school. Her brother who will be 4 is already potty trained. He doesn't have this problem. I am really concerned. She will just be standing there talking to you & wet herself. I really don't know what to do. I would appreciate some input. Thank you! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think you need to determine if there are any undue stresses on your daughter. Could just be the start of school? Is something different going on at school? Have there been any big changes in her life lately?
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• She is very well adjusted w/school. Loves it. As far as any stressors...no changes at home or school. The problem started away from school but now is happening at school. I have tried to think of everything it could be. Things in her life are the same as they always have been. No new people around, no new enviroments to get use to. So I am puzzled.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Could she have a UTI? My daughter had one when she was younger and she just couldn't help herself. But we caught hers pretty quickly because she told us that it hurt when she pees. I would still have her checked for a UTI though, the doctor will just have her pee in a cup and test it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• A doctor visit to rule out any medical problems would be a good place to start.

As previously mentioned stress can be a factor (remember the body does not differentiate "good stress" from "bad stress")... is there an area of her life that she feels is 'out of control'? I ask because when this happens kids will take control in an area they can control (bowel/bladder or eating/drinking)... something to think about.

Another possibility is that she is having too much fun and tries to hold her pee... then when her body can't hold it any longer she inevitably has an "accident".
    J1nx

Answer by J1nx at 12:05 AM on Sep. 30, 2009