5 year old is wetting herself during the day, what do I do? (PIOG)

My 5 year old daughter over the last month has been peeing in her pants during the day mainly. She sometimes has accidents at night. But over the last week she has started to have them @ school. Her brother who will be 4 is already potty trained. He doesn't have this problem. I am really concerned. She will just be standing there talking to you & wet herself. I really don't know what to do. I would appreciate some input. Thank you! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Some kids are afraid of going to the bathroom at school.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• The problem has started away from school. But last Friday & yesterday was the first time she had accidents at school. She loves school & has always gone w/out a problem. So I don't think that is the issue. But thank you. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• So she was pretty well day trained - almost no accidents; and then 'out of the blue' she's having accidents again?

I think you need to talk with her or maybe take a visit to the Dr. There's a reason here; either someone has made her feel shame or discomfort about going to the bathroom (from a classmate teasing to possible abuse) or she could have the beginning stages of a UTI or bladder infection and just be losing her 'holding' control.

Either way I don't think a call to the peditrician would be a horrible idea...can't hurt right?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Yes just out of the blue basically. I did think about a bladder issue maybe a UTI. I was actually thinking about calling the dr. So no that can't hurt. :) I think that's what I will do. Just curious if anyone else has had this happen. And what they've done etc... thanks :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It's not a bad idea to call your ped. It could be a UTI or bladder infection. Better safe than sorry. Even if it is behavioral, your ped can give you some advice.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 3:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Happened the same way with my DD and when I took her to the Dr we found out she had a raging UTI. Talk about feeling like a terrible Mom. But they treated her and her accidents stopped.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:09 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My girls had this issue with a uti. They have special needs and are sometimes non-verbal. So she didn't tell me until I asked specifically if it hurt to go pee-pee.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:04 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• my 7 year old just went though this he had a bladder infection n strong pee
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2009