What is the difference between a crock pot and slow cooker?

Just curious. We are doing a roast in the slower cooker.

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 3:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• From what I can find, a slow cooker generally has the heating element on the bottom, and the crockpot or crockery cooker has the heating element around the sides so that the heat surrounds the food, and there is a crockery insert into the shell that contains the the heating elements. Some slow cookers have a wider variety of temperatures, but the one I have has the same number as a crockpot. My "slow cooker" is a metal pot that sits on a heating element. (I also have three crockery cookers.) Crock pot is a brand name, but crockpot if often used for any crockery cooker.

Answer by Bmat at 3:51 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have both and as far as I can tell they are the same darn thing. They both take hours to slowly cook food. The slow cooker is oval shaped while the crock pot is round.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• From my experience they are exactly the thing lol. I have a crock pot and "slow cooker" . ( wait vbruno said that lol)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 4:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I think that Crockpot is a brand (like Kleenex) of slowcooker

Answer by rkoloms at 6:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• They're the same thing. Plus, like rkoloms said, Crock-Pot is just a brand name. There is no true difference except for the brand name.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• they're the same thing. Crockpot is just the most common name.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2009