How can I get my 3 year old dd to take her medicine?

My dd has to take liquid penicillen and refuses, I offer candy, I tried putting it in her juice, milk, etc. Help anyone who might have any other ideas that would work. Thanks

megnjessmom

Asked by megnjessmom at 3:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can usually get that type of medication flavored by the pharmisicist. Have you tried her favorite flavors? OR tell her if she dosmt take it the Dr will have to give her a shot instead. That usually will make a child swallow a medicne as the shot hurts allot worse. Good luck
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Get one of those oral medicine syringes. A couple of times of squirting that in her mouth, and she will choose to drink it. At least my son did. Sometimes he still tries to give me a hard time with his allergy meds, but as soon as I pull that syringe out, he is ready and willing to drink.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 4:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• She won't take it when its hidden in food? Make sure she doesn't see you put it in. Maybe try foods that have more flavor and will mask it more, flavored yogurt, a smoothie, milkshake, chocolate pudding.
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 5:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Have the pharmacy flavor it. Or use a medication syrigine and squirt it into the back of her cheeks holding her mouth closed. She will be forced to swallow. You should really check before you put it in food or drinks because the meds may not work then depending on the antibiotic.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2009