Going Shopping For The First Time In Our New Home, What Do We Buy For Food?

My Fiance' And I FINALLY Got Our Own Place! We Move In Saturday. But What Do We Buy For Food? Its My Fiance', Our 2 Kids (3 yrs old and 10 months old) And Myself. Iv Been Stairing At A Piece Of Paper That Simply Has "Shopping List" On The Top Of It For About 4 Hours Now... We Do Have A Limit, And Dont Like To Eat Fast-Food All The Time. Im A Pretty Good Cook, And Hes A Big Fan Of Left Overs (me, not so much). I Would Like To Do A Good Shop For The Week Atleast. What Are The Nessary Items That You Need?? We Have Seriously Nothing Yet.

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 3:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• well first write down what you are going to have for dinner for that week, for lunch and for breakfast. than go through and write down what you need to make those items. and as for what i would get off the bat if i had nothing: spices (i cook homemade a lot so i want all my spices), bread, eggs, butter, milk, peanut butter, and cheese. those are things i use at least once a day so always have to end up getting.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Salt, pepper, sugar, flour, butter, cooking oil, cooking spray, vinegar, cans of soup, some little cans of prepared foods such as ravioli or spaghetti, bread, peanut butter, jelly, cheese, napkins, paper towels, toilet paper, foil, plastic wrap, sandwich bags, catsup, mustard, mayo, fresh vegetables (including onions and potatoes) and fruit, bread,milk, juice, yogurt, bags of frozen vegetables, meats, eggs, cereal, pasta.

Answer by Bmat at 3:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Do your meal plan for the week first. Write down all snacks and meal for the next 8 days; base your grocery list on your meal plan.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Meal plan for sure !!
    Meat
    produce
    frozen foods
    diary
    box foods
    can foods
    paper products
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 6:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• having chocolatechocolate for rough days

Answer by admckenzie at 6:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Once you start checking your mail, grab the grocery fliers and buy sale items, and go from there to plan major dinners.

For kids I always have certain items I buy and dont bother putting them on the list because they are regular items.....tortillas, apples, any fruit, applesauce or yogurt, slice cheese for grilled cheese or roll into the tortillas, lunchmeats, hotdogs, shredded cheese, eggs, carrot sticks, and peanut butter, and ritz, dry cereals. I always have these in my kitchen.

Toilet Paper!!!! lol Happy shopping!
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 10:23 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• First things first, you don't need to capitalize the first letter of every single word, just the first of the sentence or proper names.

Flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pepper, spices, etc.
    Pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, various meats.
    Canned goods - veggies, fruits, etc, whatever you normally eat.
    Fresh fruits & veggies.
    Cereals - cold & hot.
    Dairy products - milk, cheese (block, shredded, sliced, according to what you eat/cook).
    Butter/margarine, cooking oil/olive oil, lard or solid shortening if you use it.
    Frozen items - breakfast stuff, veggies, quick-fix meats.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Sep. 30, 2009

• Wow, Am I The Only Person In This World To Capitalize All My Words? Its A Habbit People, Sorry!!
    I Have To Actully Think NOT TO Do It, Haha, Kinda Like Using A Blinker In The Car. You Just Do It.
    Its Been A Habbit From My Job For 12 Years Now. Get Over It Please.

Everyone, Thanks So Much For The Help. I Now Have A Full Page Of Shopping To Do. Lol.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 4:41 PM on Sep. 30, 2009