For those who had scheduled C-sections and breastfed....

How does your milk know to come in, if you have a scheduled c-section? I haven't leaked at all and I'm at 40 weeks. I'm having a scheduled c-section tomorrow morning. I'm not dialated or anything, so how will my body know it is time for the milk?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 4:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your body will know because the placenta separates from the uterine wall. That's the signal your breasts need to start making milk.

And leaking is not a sign of how much milk you will make, either.

Just know that it takes a couple days for the milk to come in. An average of 2-5. Nurse your baby often until it does (and after, too, to establish a good supply). The colostrum is all he or she needs and introducing formula will negate some of the benefits of breastfeeding (like protection from allergies).

If you have more questions or need any help give me a holler! :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Your body still goes through the same hormonal changes -- and they actually hit pretty hard. Within a day or two you'll probably start having chills, shakes, even fevers --- and you could get these symptoms off & on for weeks.

Your milk will come in just like if you'd had a vaginal birth (I know, I've had both, too) within 2-4 days.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• When they remove your placenta it triggers something in your body. I had no problem nursing 30 minutes after DD was born (no joke) just make sure all docs and nurses know you plan to BF and tell them all NO BOTTLES
    Fordmomma

Answer by Fordmomma at 4:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It's normal to not leak. You're milk comes in because the placenta is gone and most importantly because of the baby suckling.

Make sure you tell them you want to breastfeed in the first hour after birth and you don't want the baby to have bottles or pacifiers. Someone will have to help you with that important first feeding. You will still be able to room-in with your baby.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• your body knows the second you latch your baby on your body knows to start makign milk dont worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• When baby is delivered something triggers your body just make sure you tell all the nurses no bottles or binkies and make sure they understand. As soon as you can nurse your baby i had no issues what so ever. The only thing that went wrong for our little guy is that his blood sugers were really low at birth and they HAD to give him 2oz of formula befor i could get out of surgery in order to bring his suger levels up but after that i was able to nurse him every 1 to 2 hours no issues what so ever.
    RykersMom04

Answer by RykersMom04 at 4:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2009