Are you getting your children vaccinated for swine flu?

I have a 9 month old and really don't know what to think of this swine flu vaccination! I have read up a bunch on it and don't know that I fully trust getting it myself or for my son. I kinda feel like its a matter of which risk do I want to take?! Just wanted to get other moms opinions and if your getting your child the swine flu shot~Thanks :)

Rachellemg84

Asked by Rachellemg84 at 4:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Kids' Health

• my son who will be 6months will be getting but hes got some health issues in the risk of getting swine flu could be deadly for him. I think as a mother you have to decide what works best for you. Follow your mommy instincs if you dont think its a good idea then dont do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i believe they aren't starting it unless your child is 2 years and up, my son is only 3 months... but we have had 2 recent deaths in our area (2 college students at miami university in oxford, ohio) and i'm really nervous about it. I would choose to vaccinate, but definitely do research first. my main concern is just how close those 2 cases were. Good luck in your decision
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We aren't. We have already chosen to selectively vaccinate. I don't believe in the flu shot. It hasn't helped me in the past. I am asthmatic and my DD isn't. So, based on the research we aren't.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My daughter is 8 months and I'm not planning on getting her vaccinated. I personally feel like they've been rushing to get this vaccination available to the public. I don't trust that they can already know if there are any harmful side affects.
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 4:20 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• OP, do you mean vaccination for H1N1? H1N1, is just like the regular seasonal flu, those whom are at greater risk, i.e.- elderly people, pregnant women and young children...the very same as any seasonal flu! Do you normally get or take a flu shot? If so contact your primary physician and ask them if it is required for your child as well. Also, feel free to go onto your county/state University extention web-site, under the tab agriculture, you can read up on H1N1, they have repeatedly asked consumers to STOP calling this flu "swine flu", because it has NEVER been linked to ANY pig/human contact, and it is costing farmers their income, in return, will cost us, the consumer more at the store....just a little FYI:) Blessings, C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 4:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Actually they are saying the elderly aren't particularly susceptible like the seasonal flu, its ages 2-25 or so. However I have heard of several babies getting H1N1 (sorry but EVERYONE is referring to this as swine flu). Anyway I really appreciate hearing everyones opinions on what you plan to do for your families!!
    Rachellemg84

Answer by Rachellemg84 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I would suggest getting just the season flu shot .
    It doesn't prevent getting the swine flu but if you have the seasonal flu shot it's suppose to make the swine flu less harmful.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 6:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• no not getting the flu shot in our home--
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• absolutly NOT.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 11:04 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Nope. It's the flu. Why would I get a shot against the flu? It's a ridiculous notion that we are no longer supposed to get sick.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2009