How can I help my husband control his spending?

I don't want to take away his debit card, or put him on an "allowance" but that is all I can think of. He spent nearly $40 in a weekend at Starbucks and he tells me that isn't a lot. Plus he wants to go see a movie this weekend and he spend $20 on some internet guide for a game he plays. And he always has something else he wants. He spent nearly $50 more than I usually do on groceries with a comparable list because he got like three packages of cookies and two boxes of snack cakes and just either things that we don't need and don't really have the money for. I just don't know what to do aside from treat him like a child. I talked to him about it today, and he gave me his card and said "I guess I can just ask you for money if I need to get gas or something." But he said it all mopey, like I was punishing him. But I didn't ask for his card.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• You may need to keep his card.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Take the card! :)

My hubby has his account and I have mine...he transfers a set amount each week to me and i pay bills and household stuff through mine...he feels like a "big boy" b/c he gives me the money..haha...but it works for us--my dh is the same way as yours.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Your husband is quite childlike. How do you stand it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Lots of people can't manage money well, or don't understand the complete impact. It is also really hard for some people to give up everything when money is tight.
    If he really likes starbucks and you can afford it, put a certain amount on a recharge card for him each week. If he doesn't use it one week it can just accumulate. My hubby loves getting these cards as gifts throughout the year.
    I would also suggest you looking at the finances and coming up with a reasonable amount that you can afford for extras. Let him know how much it is and when you/he do something make sure it is deducted. He will probably need a reminder as he may forget the little things he spends.
    My hubby was a pain when he ran our finances but now that I do he regularly wants to get lots of little things and forgets they add up.
    I wouldn't treat him like a child and take away his card, it could cause resentment.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 11:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009