dog has worms

my dog has worms in his poop... I know that he needs to go to the vet, but what will they do to get rid of them? I am also worried about my kids, can they get worms too from touching the dog?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Pets

• what do the worms look like? You can get OTC wormer for certain types---if you get the kind for tapeworms it will take care of most the common kinds.
    Oh--tapeworms look like rice segments, if you see those it means the pet most likely has fleas too(the flea carries the tapeworm egg) so you might want to check him for fleas too.

Some parasites are zoonotic so yes your kids could get them from the dog. Though they would have to ingest the worm--eating infected fecal matter--chances are slim but keep the dog seperated from the children and have them practice good handwashing.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 4:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My dog had worms and a couple days ago I took in a stool sample to the vet. They gave me two pills for him. They will ask you how much your dog weighs and for me it only cost 20 dollars. I have to go back in three weeks to get more. I didn't have enough money to buy it all at once. Yes people can get worms. I have kept my kids from touching the dog around his mouth. If the dog licked me or my kids on the hands I would go wash them.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 7:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Yes your kids can get worms from touching it, if they put thier hands in thier mouth after. The doctor will do a stool sample, so you do not need to bring pooh with you unless he asked you to.
    Bingmom

Answer by Bingmom at 11:37 PM on Sep. 29, 2009