Have you sent your child away to a private high school? If so, what was the experience like?

I'm considering sending my daughter to a private boarding school 5 hours away driving. She's excited but I'm concerned. I'm unsure what I should be asking her placement counselor here in the eighth grade. What questions to ask during the high school Open Houses ... etc.

natlei1

Asked by natlei1 at 4:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I wish I could afford a private school. Good Luck
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 6:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I thought about catholic school but it was expensive and the school was to far away. If she is excited I say give it a try.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I would not send her, i think thats too young. she's a growing girl and teens need their mom. and you'll miss her like crazy. Ask about supervision because teens are, well teens. so that one would be one of my first questions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• If she wants to go I'd allow it on a probationary condition. My mom refused to allow me to go to a school where i could have had many wonderful opportunities. Mine was fully paid for too. My dad said yes. She said no. I hated her for it until the day she died.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:26 PM on Sep. 30, 2009

• There is a Catholic High School in my city and I would NOT send my son to it. It is well known in the city and police department that the Catholic HS has more drugs in it than the 4 public high schools put together. Not only that, it is $7000 a year plus activity fees, book fees, etc. Also, the education at this Catholic HS is not better than our public high schools. I happen to live in a city that has an awesome public school system.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:46 PM on Sep. 30, 2009