telling baby no

my 13 month old has been hitting, biting, and pinching. For some reason, when someone tells him "no" he laughs. Somehow he has found that its a funny word, so now anything he does and someone tells him no, he thinks its funny to do it. So hes doing all these mean things. It doesn't matter if you say no firmly, or even yell at him, he still laughs. I am not sure how to make him know that its not funny to do these things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• look him in the eye say no and walk away from him. stop playing for a certain amount of time (like a min or two) and when you come back to play again, tell him you don't play with little boys who hit/bite/punch whatever he's done. and if/when he laughs try not to laugh as well, and make sure no one around you laughs about it either. but he's looking for a reaction from you which is why he's doing it, if you just say no than walk away he isn't getting the reaction he is expecting.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 4:54 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Stop saying no at all. It's not working. Watch him like a hawk and minimize his chances of hitting, ect.

I'm not sure the best way to respond when he does bad things since I can't see him. The victim might say I don't like that in a neutral voice. The victim could turn and ignore him. The victim could walk away.

This is not normal behavior. I have a 12 month old grandson and he has never done any of these things. His father and I almost nver say no to him and when we do he is crushed. We save no for when he is about to get hurt. His mother isn't around much and she says no all the time, he ignores her. It's like he doesn't even hear her.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:57 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• laughing at no is very normal, my daughter did it and every baby i've ever been around has done it. my daughter used to bite you'd say no and ouch and she'd laugh. same when she hit or anything along those lines. when i started doing what i suggested above (saying no and walking away) than she stopped finding it funny and realized that no meant she wasn't supposed to do what she'd done and that if she did it she didn't get to play.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• gaill, you can't say its not normal just because your grandson has never done it.. that means that its not normal for him, not for every child
    IlovemyNicholas

Answer by IlovemyNicholas at 5:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• haha,..OMG. Kids are too funny. I think he's just figured out he has frustration as an actual emotion and doesn't yet know what to do with it. My son started then at that age - I would take his hand and say "we do not hit -NO NO! _ if he laughs. tell him that its NOT funny. We don't hit.. we DON'T bite -etc. We started time outs for that at 16 months but he was pretty much done by then. Someone probably laughed one time and that's all it takes.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'm a grandmom to 6, and I say it is normal for children to do and say different things, I have 5 grandsons,who are so manner-able,never hit,bite,spit etc.,then,came my granddaughter,the more we looked in her face and sternly say NO,she will try to pull our nose off,so,then,we started saying,That's a big NONO, well,that don't work either,we finally called in re-enforcement,we have a behavior therapist come in every 2 weeks. And,no she don't have ADD or any other problem. She is 21/2 yr. old,and she has always acted out since she started walking at 9 months.Try another word,but, you have to be serious,don't laugh at him,also,try time out,he may catch on,if he hits,he sits for a minute. Good luck.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2009