needing to kind of vent/cry

my 15 month old has a bad head cold with sinus leakage/stuffyness and a bad caugh...i am soo upset because he is miserable and the coughing wakes him up at night...i have no money to buy him a humidifier or saline drops...I feel like a failure of a mother for not being able to help him...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you aren't a bad mom, and you're right anon they cost almost nothing when you have the money laying around, but if you don't have the money than they are a fortune. you don't need saline drops they actually have never helped my daughter, just use the suction thing and clean his nose out. if its cold out wrap him up and take him outside, or run the shower really hot and close the door, than sit in the bathroom with him. as for the cough, if you have a sucker or hard candy (that he can handle) laying around let him have that, it'll coat his throat just like a cough drop would. put something under the head of the mattress so that his head is raised when he sleeps should keep him from getting too stuffy at night.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• you are not a failure of a mother sometimes we jsut cant afford stuff i wish i ahd the money to send you to help but im struggling finacially to my advice turn the hot water on in the bathroom and sit in there with him the steam should helpa little with the congestion and help some of it drain i hope your little one feels better and stop beating yourself up you are not a bad mother
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 5:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• you'd better get some medicaid - soon - It's your responsibility to take care of your little one...or even seek help at a church or something so they can help your LO get the care he needs...there are always people to help...humidifiers and saline drop cost almost nothing...you might even be able to go to public health for the saline...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• kids get sick. its part of life. you cant blame yourself and get upset everytime. its sad yes. ive got a 10 month old thats screaming his head off and having to have this temperature taken via butt every 2 hrs. all you can do is confort him,drink plenty of fluids and tylenol. or whatever your dr says (i sugeest calling him/her)
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 5:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Oh mama, you're not a failure! As for the humidifier, put him in a hot steamy bathroom (run really hot water in tub with doors closed) this will put a lot of moisture in the air just like a humidifier does. Coughing is good, it's natures way of clearing out the lungs. We all go through hard times, right now I know how you feel cuz I have NO money for anything either. Seriously, all our babies need is love and guidance. Humidifiers and medicine haven't been around forever, and there are many ways to help the body heal other than commercial products. For his cough, you can also rub fresh garlic on the bottom of his little feet. Garlic is really good for the respritory system. There are many other natural things, look online for homeopathic (natural) medicine. Keep your chin up. Also you might consider reaching out to a local church for help. Much love to you...... and God bless you. Pray for that little one:)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• saline drops never helped my son either. i have a humidifier i hardly used i wish i could give it to you... do you have any friends or family that could help?
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I was merely suggesting she use her resources...vmom...you can go to the thrift store, we have a kids consignment store...to get a humidifier (I've seen them as low as $4 - just be sure to clean it well) The saline (if necessary) you can probably get for free from your dr or public health...I don't have money lying around...but I make plenty of sacrifice to make sure my LO's are comfortable when they are at their worst...just use your resources...good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I am the OP --- my uncle gave me a humidifier but it is really old and really dirty...the filter is really dirty too...so i am scared to use it cause i dont want to expose my son to anything....and unfortunately my family is too strained for money also...but thank you all for the support
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• all saline drops are is salt water,if that helps. if u have medicad i would take him to the er,they can give u something for him there.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 5:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't know where you live, but there are alot of resources for women in your situation. Women's shelters, churches, medicaid, etc (as a previous person mentioned). You MUST find a way to obtain medical care for your child. It is very very difficult - I know, I have been there. I had to use welfare, food stamps, medicaid, childcare & housing assistance, etc. when I was a teenaged mother, kicked out of my parent's house. Do you have a WIC program? It's harder now because of the economic times - the government really restricted social programs, but KEEP SEARCHING until you can get the help you need. Most churches would be able to find you immediate help, even if you've never gone to one.

It is HEARTBREAKING to watch your child suffer. But this isn't going to be the only time this happens, so I hope it motivates you to GET HELP. Be patient and persistent with getting the assistance you need, but most of all HANG IN THERE!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 6:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2009