Who is the one that spends more on "non-essentials" in your house?

I have seen three questions today about husbands spending too much. In my house, it is my husband. My mother, both sisters, and my sister in law it is also the husband. However, my in laws, it is the wife. So, who is the big spender in your family? Things like junk food, video games, movies, clothes you don't need, spa trips, electronics, all of that non essential stuff!

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• hubby.....new video games, new electronics, a gadget that does this or that, junk food (i buy it but i buy it b/c he eats it and if i don't buy it than he'll buy it somewhere else and pay more than i would), movies (and he watches them maybe once!), all kinds of things.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Definitely my Hubby. He is constantly buying crap for his truck that he doesn't need. And tools! I am so sick of him buying tools! We have a two car garage that I can't even pull my car into because it is stuffed full of his crap. lol.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 5:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Definitely my better half. That is why I handle the finances in this household. My mother did not believe he could possibly have a shopping addiction bad enough to warrant me having the only checkbook and debit card in the family. Then I told her about the time that he went with me to the GROCERY store (not Wal-Mart, just a plain old grocery store). All I needed was some produce and a bag of frozen spinach. The moment we walked in the doors, it was like shopping with a little kid...."Oh, those bamboo plants are nice. We should get one."...."I need some snack food. You never get snack food."...."We should get some of that too."....on and on it went. I completely forgot to look for the spinach, because I was so busy making sure he didn't drop crap we did not need in the basket!!
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Neither one of us are that bad. My hubby has no hobbies, and he never wants anything, so he never buys anything. I don't really get anything either. We consult one another on our purchases, we don't just go out and buy something without checking to see if it's OK. So in our house, neither one of us.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I would say I do, but if I let my husband buy the stuf he wants it would be a poc and would fall apart quickly. So I go and buy the stuff everyone wants when I find a good deal on a good product. My husband does the food shopping, but it is me that insist on the junk food, my blood sugar gets low and I get ill feeling or cranky. We do not go out to fast food places often tho it just cost to much these day for a family of 5.
    Bingmom

Answer by Bingmom at 5:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It USED to be me when we first got together then it was hubby now it's neither we stick to a tight budget lately .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 6:06 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• He impulse buys more but I shop more often for our family. I take advantage of sales and clearence items but make more number of purchases....I guess it evens out.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 6:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• We arent bad about it but of the two of us...he would be the one to spend more on non-essentials than I.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:47 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• DH definitely. I am very thrifty and into conservation. He's with me on a lot of ways to save money, but for him the purpose of saving money isn't to salt it away for a rainy day, but to have more of it to spend on gadgets. It's not so bad that we fight over it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 9:45 PM on Sep. 29, 2009