10 year old getting her period

Do any of you moms remember the months leading up to your daughter's 1st period? What were the physical signs? How about her attitude? I have a 10 year old and I believe she is about to start her 1st period because she has been acting really hormonal lately. I told my mom it's like she is having PMS. Did something similar happen with your daughter?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 5:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My DD 11 has had her's for almost a year now. Yes you will start to notice the discharge in their panties. DD never said anything or asked any question's. I noticed it when doing her wash. Her "tude" would get extremly crazy, and we noticed it around the time that I would be on mine. Then a week or so later she would be back to "normal". It's so hard on these girls when they start so young. They are stuck between wanting too be a little girl and a women/Teen. Crazy! Good luck!
    Emerson7

Answer by Emerson7 at 3:53 PM on Oct. 1, 2009

• When Does it Happen?
    # On average, about six months before a girl starts her menstrual period for the first time she may notice a clear vaginal discharge, which is normal. Menarche, or the beginning of the menstrual cycle, occurs about two years after a girl has started developing breasts (thelarche), according to Kidshealth.org and about four to six months after pubic and underarm hair has begun to grow.
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 5:18 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i was 10 when i got mine, but i dont remember acting different. my mom had never told me about periods though b/c she didnt think i would get it until i was older (she was 16) and when i woke up to find blood everywhere in my bed (TMI) i thought i had been stabbed or something and was dying...she got a hysterical phone call to her work from my brother screaming i was dying lol
    danette624

Answer by danette624 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My mom totally called it for me ... I think it was probably a number of triggers, like the hormones and my physical development. She bought me a book guaged at pre-teens about menstral cycles and what to expect. It was really informative, especially when I started a few months later :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:25 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My oldest girl is only 8 so has not started yet. But I started mine a week before my 10th birthday and I remember being very hormonal and my stomach hurting alot, starting about 4 weeks before I started. My mother never told me about none of it bevause she was 16 when she started, but luckily I had older girlfriends
    cw1981

Answer by cw1981 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 4, 2009

• The moodiness can happen quite a while before....I would look for those physical changes. Be gentle with her....it is a delicate time. I wish none of the girls had to deal with that until at least 13 or so.....It is just so much for a little girl to deal with. Nothing we can do about it except help them through it.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 11:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2009