Will child support go down?

there are 2 ex's: ex #1 has firstborn, ex #2 has 2 younger children. Ex number one was being paid $300 for CS, ex number 2 is being paid $700 for CS. Ex number one just got child support increased to $420 because it has not been adjusted in 13 years. So, question is, can we get child support to ex #2 decreased because ex#1 is now getting more? Oh, there was no wage increase by the way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think you can. In the state of Colorado, they take into consideration any other children you have living in your home and any other children that you pay support for. If you can survive without the decrease, I would try that, but if you can't then I think you can get your child support reconsidered. But, if it has been a long time since the last evaluation, then it may not swing in your favor.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• They will not decrease it b/c #1 gets more, at least not in FL. When they do the increase, they look at how much he makes, how much the mom makes, how much he pays to other mothers for cs, and decide based on all of that whether to increase, decrease, or remain the same. He CAN go in and request that #2 be decreased based on her making more money, him not making enough, etc. Basically, he can request it since there was an increase to #1, but they're not going to look at it and say, "Oh, he pays more to her now, we need to knock this one back a bit." Make sense? I know what I'm trying to say, just not sure if I'm saying it in a way that makes sense. LOL
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Ex #1's CS has NOTHING to do with Ex #2's support. CS is payed based on the payers income. Thats it.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:14 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My husband got more support from his ex when she stopped paying CS on her first son. She was actually expecting to go into court and pay less, but the judge said that her liability was lessened from the other child, therefore she had more to pay for this child. She went from paying $210 for her older son and $160 for her second son to paying $300 for her second son and nothing for her older, because he turned 19.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Sep. 30, 2009