How do I get my son to stop screaming?

When he gets tired or his sister wont leave him alone or I make him sit in the shopping cart my 1 year old son screams so loud that I am completly embarrassed. I dont know how to stop him. He keeps doing it. Any ideas

ashmom2

Asked by ashmom2 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you find out please let me know!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 5:22 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Me too Me too.. he's on a good stretch of doing it EVERY time - I make sure he's napped, not hungry... I don't know. I decided I have to run my errands without him but I never really get that chance so now, I am THAT person in the store..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I don't think there's anything you can do that will work every time. But have you tried distracting him with a favorite toy? Whispering to him? I put the Wiggles on my iPhone in video and in music form and this (for some strange reason) calms my 16 month old much of the time.

This is my second child (My oldest is 19 years old!) and what I have learned is for ME to stay completely calm and NOT CARE what others think. Most people with children or who have had experience w/children UNDERSTAND. As unpleasant as it is for people around you -TOO BAD...they are going to have to learn to deal with it. Just DON'T STRESS OUT because YOU will make it worse. My son is only fussy with my husband when my husband is stressed, tired, or in a bad mood. I make it a point to not be like that around him, so he's rarely fussy with me.

One thing to NOT do: DO NOT BUY HIS SILENCE WITH NEW TOYS OR BRIBES, if you do - you will create a BRAT!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 6:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Ignore him and I mean ignore him done even acknowledge him and it will eventually stop, hopefully. It's YOUR will against a 1 year olds. DONT give in and coddle him or you will re-enforce the behavior. And when the older child bugs the LO to get him to scream? smack her one so she to gets the idea that making the little one cry is NOT acceptable. spanking or hitting your kids was not and in my opinion IS NOT abuse. Spare the rod and spoil the child seems to be parents attitudes today. Kids NEED to learn respect.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2009