How do I get my kids to stop biting?

1 years old and 3 years old. They bite for fun and to be mean. Ive tried biting back so that they know that it hurts but the biting still continues.

ashmom2

Asked by ashmom2 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• Tell them how much it hurts. Then distract them with something else to calm them down. Time out helps too. Some parents have told me they would bite their child back or smack thier mouths but I think this is just confirming it is okie to do it. If it was you he was biting I would put something on your skin that taste gross, but since it is the other babies I don't think that would be too good hehe ;)
    My son use to bite him self alot when he was a tot. It was weird and he would actually leave marks on him self.
    Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• get soem almond extract and everytime they bite someone put it in there mouth it tastes horrible and make them do a timeout thats how a friend of mine got hers to stop biting cuz biting back didnt work for her kids either
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 6:11 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• STOP biting them. They obviously think it's ok to bite if they haven't stopped. You are just showing them that it is ok to bite. Keep telling them it hurt, be firm about it. They may not be biting out of fun but frustration because they can't verbalize their feelings. The 1 year old, is NOT doing it for fun or to be mean. The 1 yr old is still a BABY and can't talk, is teething so biting is a developmentally appropriate behavior. The 3 yr old should NOT be biting. For the 3 yr old, time outs, take away favorite toys. For the 1 yr old, keep telling her that it hurts. But whatever you do, STOP BITING THEM BACK IT IS NOT WORKING.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• you havnt bitten the 3 y.o hard enough to get your point across. The 3 year old is teaching your LO to bite as well. Watch them closer to stop the biting before it happens. (All this from a 43 y.o Mom with Adult kids who would bite but it only took one good bite back to get my point across.)
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:08 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Please explain to me how biting a child teaches the child not to bite. This is the same logic as hitting a child to teach the child to not hit.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:17 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• no offense but biting your kids to get them to stop biting makes no sense because you basically saying "do as I say not as I do". set the example for them. next time one of them bites look them in the eye & say firmly ,no biting. then the kid gets a time out one min per year, so your 1 yr would get one min & the 3 yr would get three min. be consistent. I am a mom of four kids 11, 6, 2, and a baby.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:19 PM on Sep. 29, 2009