Has anyone else been completely terrified of being a mom? I mean terrified. I can't purchase a crib because I feel like the rails are my prison bars. Am I the only non-maternal female out there?

I mean terrified-TERRIFIED. I can't purchase a crib because I feel like the rails are my prison bars. My husband is handling all of the decorating. I started hyperventilating before a baby shower. Am I the only non-maternal female out there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it's completely terrifying, heres a quote that i will probably get in trouble for but its the funniest quote in my life so far:

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank...but the world may be a better place because I've made a difference in the life of child. Of course, odds are..., the world will be an even worse place due to my deficient parenting and low self-esteem issues that surprisingly weren't addressed by deciding to procreate"

i didnt make it up
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 5:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• LOL!
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 5:28 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'm very non maternal- I don't know what i'm doing pregnant. I'm 34 weeks and my husband is SO much more maternal than me- he's doing all the "nesting" and "working" while I eat cookies and try to enjoy being non-attached to a baby.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I was like that with my first but it changes eventually. At some point you and the baby will connect and you will laught at your feelings right now.... It took me a while even after she was born but now she is approaching 3 and I have another on the way. It does change and if it doesn't maybe talk to a counseler to help you sort things out.... GL
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 5:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• My first pregnancy I was 13 weeks along and wasn't feeling "maternal" as you call it...then I lost the baby and I guess I became more maternal after that...I didn't realize how non-maternal I was being until my husband told me he thought I wouldn't be that upset losing the baby...I was crushed. So when we finally had our DS I really became motherly...but you are always a little fearful as to what can happen to LO - so being terrified is pretty natural...don't expect that to go away : ) You'll be great! So good luck!
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 6:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Just breath !!!!! It might change after the baby is born !
    I have ALWAYS been maternal .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 6:10 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I wasn't the most maternal women either - once your baby smiles at you for the first time your heart will open up and swallow that baby whole! The first few weeks I felt something for my baby, but I have to say that when I saw her smile for the 1st time - I think around 1 or 2 months - my heart melted and has never hardened back up! Good luck - you'll do great!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:16 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Awww you're going to eat your baby!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2009