Are the Cheyney's undermining National Security?

About a dozen retired generals and admirals, trying to add momentum to President Barack Obama’s effort to close the Guantanamo Bay military prison, are accusing former Vice President Dick Cheney and his daughter Liz of scaremongering about the dangers of closing it.

“It’s up to all of us to say these arguments advanced by Cheney and his acolytes are nonsense and that really what they’re doing is undermining our national security by delaying the date at which Guantanamo is closed,” retired Brig. Gen. James Cullen, a former chief judge of the Army’s Court of Criminal Appeals, told POLITICO Tuesday.

“We take a setback every time somebody, whether it’s the vice president or his daughter comes out and says the things that they say….We have to get out there again and just keep pounding.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0909/27705.html#ixzz0SXBTHHlA

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 5:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No Obama and his minions are.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:46 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• According to these generals, The Cheyney's are

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:50 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Its Cheney, and I don't really care what a dozen say. There are way more than that who say Obama is and common sense tells me they are the correct ones.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:53 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I guess it's a matter of opinion, isn't it? Retired generals vs retired vice president. Although, I don't see how Cheney voicing his opinion is undermining national security. Perhaps Obama is endangering national security by allowing some of the detainees to go free, or be on American soil.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• So, you aren't "scared" just a little about these terror suspects being put back out on the streets of the world to spread their particular brand of fear? It isn't the Cheney's discussion of real issues about the closing that scare me; it's the way the closing is being done. BO just said close it without having a vision of how that will look when it is closed. In other words, NO PLAN. It is the lack of a plan that scares me. Where are the detainees going to go, will their movements be monitored, will they be restricted where they go to ensure they don't rejoin their terrorist groups, who monitors them? Does anyone know?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Are you suggesting that people listen to the former vice president more than they do the current president? That doesn't speak well of Obama does it?

Personally I could care less what Cheney or a bunch of retired generals have to say about Gitmo. I base my opinion on the fact that once we release these people they go right back to war against us. I base my opinion on my hubby's opinion. Since he has a command position in the military in the PRESENT not in the PAST I think his opinion is much more reliable.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:02 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

I think there are many that lend more to what he says because of his former position, and he has been using it to sell his upcoming book...gettng people all riled up. Creating a hysterical and irrational fear about closing Gitmo even though MANY people say it is a RECRUITING tool for terrorists and SHOULD be closed.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:05 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• So, you aren't "scared" just a little about these terror suspects being put back out on the streets of the world to spread their particular brand of fear?

Terror suspects and terrorists are TWO different things. You may be interested in finding our how many HUNDREDS were released by the Bush Admin, after being held for up to 6 years with NO charges. Terrorists are home grown and abroad, I do not live in fear of them, you will not kill the ideals of terrorism by creating more wat, hate abuse etc....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:07 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• think there are many that lend more to what he says because of his former position, and he has been using it to sell his upcoming book...gettng people all riled up. Creating a hysterical and irrational fear about closing Gitmo even though MANY people say it is a RECRUITING tool for terrorists and SHOULD be closed

Baloney! People listen to Cheney because he has a set of balls. They listen because he was there up close and personal and knows what the detainees are capable of. You are just bashing him because is was part of the Bush administration. Stop for a minute and think for yourself sweet, you are simply echoing the words of others. You are smarter than that.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

Then stop listening to former President Carter when he accusing people who oppose BO's policies racists.

finding our how many HUNDREDS were released by the Bush Admin

And you know this - how? I'm sure many were released after they were deemed to be no threat. What is left at Gitmo are the hard core radicals. My son has worked there. He told me just how scary these guys are. Here's an article by CBS (the liberal press) discussing the terrorist returning to their country just to rejoin the jihad.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/05/21/eveningnews/main5032237.shtml

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2009