Newborn in his own room...

I'm now trying to trasition my 7 week old into his own room. I'm just unsure that when he wakes up and stars making noises should I pick him up, or wait until he gets pretty upsets and cries big? I know eventually you let them cry it out but he is still so young, and I know when I laid him down a half hour prior and as soon as I pick him up and goes back to sleep it isn't hunger waking him up. Also, do I need to make sure that he is fully asleep before I lay him down, or is it too soon?

arinesmith

Asked by arinesmith at 6:26 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never let my babies cry it out.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 6:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have read that it's better to try to put them down to sleep when they are sleepy but still awake, it teaches them to fall asleep on their own. As for the crying...In my opinion a 7 week old shouldn't be left to cry but I think you'll know the difference between just a little fussing and crying. Good luck!! My dd is 4 months and she still sleeps in the pack n play next to my bed - I'm a wimp :(
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:29 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• when he starts to make noise just go check really quick, see if he's waking up or just making noise in his sleep. no point in letting him get worked up at that age it won't do any good b/c instead of CIO he'll just scream til he makes himself sick. so if he starts to make noises that let you know he's up than pick him up. if you think he's waking up but gonna pass back out again than just wait and sit at the door or something keep an eye/ear out and see what he does. i'd make sure he's all the way asleep before you lay him down, rock him and once he's been asleep for 5 mins pick up an arm and see if he wakes up or call his name or tickle him a bit, if he doesn't budge than he's all the way out.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• At seven weeks the 'umbilical cord' still hasn't been cut...he cries because he needs the comfort of his mommy. all he heard for 8 months is your heartbeat...7 weeks after birth you expect him to live without that comfort sound. If he squeeks, I'd pick him up. I didn't CIO until 11 months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Hmmm...guess I'm a wimp too...we have my 6 month old DD in a crib across the room from us. We mostly do this because the master bedroom is separate from the other bedrooms in the house. Ah well... to each their own... : ) She sleeps so soundly only waking once or twice a night...(mostly for a diaper change) I don't do the CIO thing with an infant...my 2 YO is a different story though...he always tries to come to our bed after being asleep in his for several hours...so I lay down with him in his bed til he goes back to sleep...he's usually cries for an hour...before he nods off...so much fun : )
    AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 6:43 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• my 8 month old dd is in a crib in our room lol. her room is all set up...i just cant let go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• MY dd is almost 3 yrs and i still dont let her cio. i cosleep with my dd for almost 2 yrs. my ds is 7 mts and he still in my room. i dont belive in cosleeping especially for someone so young maybe at 6 mts
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• don't go to him if he's just making little noises, if he cries go get him and see what he needs.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Even CIO advocates say NEVER before six months. If he wakes, pick him up. He's still learning that you are someone to be trusted.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I personally would not wait until he is fully asleep to lay him down. It can be kinda scary for them when they fall asleep with mommy and suddenly wake up alone. When he wakes up dont just pick him up, if you know he is still tired go in and rub his back and try to get him to go back to bed. 7 weeks is def too young for cio. When you hear him making noises give him 5 minutes, if he isnt asleep by then, go in and do the back rub thing. Also try having him nap in his room first for a day or two. This way he will know that this is a place he sleeps. Its easier to start with the short spurts of sleep, and then work on the long one. I hope that helped!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009