Is this a good hourly wage?

I was offered a office job working 40 hours a week for $19.50 a hour to start, with a raise after 4 months probation. It also offers full benefits.
This seems like good money to me, especially with so many people being laid off and not able to find a job.
My friend says that its not much though when I factor in gas, and lunch and so on what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• what? i'd jump at the opportunity, take it ! :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I work at an office and make only $13/hour. But it also depends on where you live, etc. sounds like a great opportunity though
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• thats really good! thats great pay and you get benefits, take it now!!! (and as for gas and lunch, bring lunch and unless it takes you a full tank of gas to get to work and home you won't be spending it all on gas, maybe $40-$60 a week depending on what you drive and how far, so that'd be all of 2-3 hours of work compared to the other 37 hours)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:33 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• OP HERE. I live in Northern Illinois and I am going to take the job, I am excited, but I guess what my friend said kinda made me feel bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Depends on where you live, but, that's just under $40K a year - not too shabby by most standards; especially if it's a second income.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• It seems like a great opportunity. Unless you are driving hours to and from your office then your friend is a little off. You can always pack a lunch, leftovers from the night beforeAlways tasty..don't need a microwave, and reletively inexpensive. I would take the opportunity, sounds like a more than fair offer to me.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 6:34 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Op Here: Also I made a test run to the job location and it takes me 40 mins one way to get ther, so I estimated about 60 a week on gas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Your friend is an a** for saying that. For an office job that is great. I just think she is jealous.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• girlfriend what! u better take it..........
    SweetiePieAfWf

Answer by SweetiePieAfWf at 6:38 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• you know what, i think shes just trying to bring you down. that is GREAT pay.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:40 PM on Sep. 29, 2009