I am breast feeding my 2 week old baby. Every time its time to nurse, she kicks and pushes away with her hands, screams and cries at the top of her lungs. It takes about 30 minutes for her to calm down and eat. She latches on really well once she calms down. What is the problem or what do I need to do differently?

Mylicon is one of our best friends. I have expressed milk and left a few drops on my nipple to get her attention. I have tried to feed her when she is half asleep, before she starts fussing. Nothing seems to work.

tmdarrach

Asked by tmdarrach at 6:52 PM on Sep. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried a different hold? Maybe how she is nursing isn't comfortable to her. Have you been eating something with a strong flavor? she may have a problem with something that you ate. I would call a lactation consultant and see if they can watch you...maybe they will notice something that you are doing that may be changed to make this easier.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I was going to suggest a different hold OR swaddling
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:56 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I'd recommend trying to feed her before she gives you the cues for hunger. keep track so you can catch her when she's a bit hungry and not frantic.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:01 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• i agree with hypermamaz look for cues. rooting for thebreast, smacking her lips, and sucking her hands. nurse before the last cue which is crying. nurse on demand
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:03 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• just like hypermamaz said, you're waiting too long to feed her, i had this same problem with my son i wish someone would have told me :]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:04 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I have to agree with the other two ladies.  Feed your baby more and see if that helps.  I did the same with my first born, and feeding him more worked for us.  Good luck babe!

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• Sounds like it might be overactive let down which is when you let down your spray hits the back of her throat quickly and she has to swallow quickly and seems like it hurts the baby. How to handle it: breastfeed lying down or hand express or pump until your milk begins to spray for a minute or two then attempt to latch her on or put her in the football hold and hold her in more of a sittin position although this can be diffucult at 2 weeks of age. Sometimes a breast sheild can prevent the fast letdown, but you should see a lactation consultant before trying that.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:59 PM on Sep. 29, 2009